Thread: More on BLUEs

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default More on BLUEs

Attached Images Attached Images

Black-bellied Plover, adult winter

This image was created on the 2018 Fall DeSoto IPT on the afternoon of September 24, 2018. I used the InduroGIT 304L/Mongoose M3.6-mounted Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4E FL ED VR lens, the Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II, and my souped up (9 fps) mega mega-pixel Nikon D850 DSLR.. ISO 400. Matrix metering +2/3 stop: 1/2000 sec. at f/6.7 in Manual mode. AUTO1 WB at 54pm on mostly clear afternoon. Three up from the center AF point/d-9/Shutter Button/Continuous (AI Servo in Canon) AF was active at the moment of exposure. The selected AF point was on the back of the bird’s neck where it meets the upper back, right on the same plane as the eye. Click on the image to see a spectacular larger version. Phase detection AF Fine-tune value: +1. See the Nikon AF Fine-tune e-Guide here.

To learn about my in-the-field experience with this bird and learn about the post processing, see the Adjusting on the Fly, White Neutralizer, On Getting to Know a Location Intimately, and Announcing the 2018 Early Winter DeSoto IPT blog post here.

As for the image, don't be shy; all comments are welcome and appreciated.

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, excellent low shooting angle, and love the soft light. Cool pose with the slightly bent leg, and I do like the feather detail and colours on him. I really like the pastel colours in your BG - sweet.

3. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi Artie, sweet soft light and the colors are wonderful. Does this image need leveling or did you chose this and why? Sharp and pleasing BBPL.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by annmpacheco View Post
    Hi Artie, sweet soft light and the colors are wonderful. Does this image need leveling or did you chose this and why? Sharp and pleasing BBPL.
    Thanks. It was tricky as the birdie was on an upslope. I worked large and leveled it with the Ruler Tool going from the bottom of the front left toe to the bottom of the right foot. Is it perfect? I have no clue.

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like the color palette and the classic pose. I’d add a few points of black to the bird and level the sand. But agree it’s a tough one as the are varying and conflicting lines from the waves, sand, etc.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Classic low angle. The Background is excellent. Detail on the bird is great. I have noticed when i put the time on here and the number five is in it. You get the two smiley faces high-fiving one another like you have here. Why is that?
    Last edited by John Mack; 10-11-2018 at 07:34 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Grant View Post
    I really like the color palette and the classic pose. I’d add a few points of black to the bird and level the sand. But agree it’s a tough one as the are varying and conflicting lines from the waves, sand, etc.
    I am not sure about adding BLACK to the BLACKs as the RGB #s for the darkest BLACKs are 2 ,3,3 ...

With love, artie

ps: on what basis would you level the sand?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would just take the level tool and choose a point at the left and right edge of the frame and level it and then see how it feels. But that kind of thing is purely personal of course. No right on wrong way to see it. Maybe just because I am used to having one of the major horizon lines level? As for the black I would play with adding 2 or 3 points to the neutrals and maybe 1 to the blacks. Or run some autotone at say 50%. It may just be a difference in monitors as I know you say that your monitor tends to be dark so perhaps we are seeing it differently. On my screen the bird just looks a touch pale and does not have the crisp checkered appearance that a winter Black-bellied Plover should have. That is one of the problems with everyone viewing on different screens.

Also what exactly is that screen shot and what does blacks at 2,3,3 mean. I have never seen that screen and never check it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very Nice Image. I love the Blues and the Leveling Horizon does not bother me at all.

Thanks for sharing.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Thanks. It was tricky as the birdie was on an upslope. I worked large and leveled it with the Ruler Tool going from the bottom of the front left toe to the bottom of the right foot. Is it perfect? I have no clue.

a
    I should have been more specific with my remark, I am asking what do you do with a sloped BG? Do you level with the feet as reference points?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by annmpacheco View Post
    I should have been more specific with my remark, I am asking what do you do with a sloped BG? Do you level with the feet as reference points?
    See the continuing conversation with Isaac above. I did level this one with the feet and the legs look up and down. But as I said, I do not think that there is any way to know for sure what is perfect ... This bird was on an uphill slope. What is right? I have no clue, I just did my best

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Grant View Post
    I would just take the level tool and choose a point at the left and right edge of the frame and level it and then see how it feels. But that kind of thing is purely personal of course. No right on wrong way to see it. Maybe just because I am used to having one of the major horizon lines level? As for the black I would play with adding 2 or 3 points to the neutrals and maybe 1 to the blacks. Or run some autotone at say 50%. It may just be a difference in monitors as I know you say that your monitor tends to be dark so perhaps we are seeing it differently. On my screen the bird just looks a touch pale and does not have the crisp checkered appearance that a winter Black-bellied Plover should have. That is one of the problems with everyone viewing on different screens.

Also what exactly is that screen shot and what does blacks at 2,3,3 mean. I have never seen that screen and never check it.
    Thanks. My monitor is too dark and there does not seem to be anything that I can do about it. Any and all help needed and appreciated. All the details are available in the BPN post here.

with love, artie

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, it is really inspiring how tireless you are to be in the best position and abgle to make a compelling image. Love everything about the image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Jay, Thanks for your kind words. I love what I do :)

with love, artie