Thread: Grey squirrel

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Grey squirrel

Attached Images Attached Images

Whilst lying prone, waiting for some fallow deer to come into a shaft of light (as you do!) I was almost hit by a falling acorn, I soon noticed there was a group of squirrels foraging above me. Sure enough they came down to get their acorns and to have a look at Barney and I. I have done a little tidying up and muting of the background, I thought I would never make it ideal so I decided to leave it at this stage.
    Canon 5D IV Canon 100-400 L I IS II (single silent shutter)
    ISO 3200, 1/200 sec f5.6 (Yes there were some faster shutter speeds!)

ACR + PSCC

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great view of the squirrel. Like the acorn in the mouth. Nice and sharp. The out of focus foreground is a plus. Hope you have some shots of the deer.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, a lovely shot with good eye contact and the acorn in the mouth is a big plus. I only wish the few strands of OOF grass blades were not there across the chest and face. TFS.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, cool POV like that, as you feel 'in the leaves'.

Although the leaves reflect the autumnal time of year, I do feel the squirrel is a little bit saturated, I might selectively reduce it in the face and some blue in the grey. As Sanjeev highlighted, the OOF grass is a bit unfortunate and perhaps not visible in the viewfinder? Like the alert pose and acorn in the mouth. Hope to see more in the coming months, but preferably a red rather than the grey.

TFS
    Steve

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments everyone, I got several shots of this little guy, he just didn't quite recognise what I was lying there! Unfortunately I could not get a clear view of him there was always something somewhere in the way - one of the penalties for being at ground level!
    I fully concede the colours are OTT, this was quite deliberate, I recognise they are not accurate, I was in a sunny bright morning mood and as I was adjusting the image I got these colours which I liked.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan -- Very nice pov and the acorn in its mouth adds to the image. My initial thought on seeing the image, 1) high on saturation , though i am not familiar with its colours , 2) the oof grass blades in front of the subject, a bit unfortunate , and I too find it difficult to see them in the view finder. 3) there is that loss of finer details because of the sloe ss .

But I still liked this image and the subject , TFS !

7. Thanks Jonathan Ashton thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - Love the reflection in the eye and the acorn in the mouth. Nice low pov. I think I wish you were actually slightly higher to see more of the lower body if possible. Lovely fall colors of the fg and bg but agree that the colors of the squirrel are a bit too much with a cast.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Such a stunning image however the oversaturation seems obvious

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Of course the tips before could be ok..but the shoot is very very interesting