Thread: Yellowlegs calling

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Yellowlegs calling

Attached Images Attached Images

Another lesser yellowlegs from the ever-reliable river banks in Sainte-Martine, Québec. They've almost all moved south by now, but in late August and most of September, hardly a day goes by without people and camera equipment in and around the river. I was trying to get a walking shot of one of the birds along the rocky ledge seen in the picture, when two of them suddenly started calling to/at each other, so I went to vertical and hit the shutter. A touch of canvas was added on the left hand side from another photograph to get the composition how I liked it.

5D mkIV, 500mm f/4 IS, 1.4x TC III, tripod mounted
    1/1300 @ f/8, ISO 400
    DPP/Photoshop

Thanks for your C&C,
    Jake

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great capture, Jake. Beautiful bird and calling pose. Nice handling the harsh light. I would take the second catch light out, and maybe remove the whitewash on the rock just under rump. Also the bright spot/highlight at base of plant.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The bird is sharp and gorgeous. The EXP is perfect as is the head angle. I even like the grass. And I love the calling pose. Iit would be easy to remove all the whitewash ...

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the IQ, but, I am with Artie on removing the whitewash... Fabulous pose, and the HA with the calling pose looks real good.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice low angle and a good pose on the bird. Nice background as well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very Nice Image of Yellow Legs. I like the open bill.

TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the calling pose and the head angle. However there are multiple items that I feel could be improved. There is not enough room on the right edge of the frame for me. I'm not a fan of the grasses that are touching the bird. I find the whole out of focus rock (including the white wash) distracting. To my eye the head is not tack sharp and I imagine that 1/1300 was not fast enough to freeze the action on a calling shorebird. Plus the colors are off as well. These birds are a deeper and warmer brown and not this pale gray, especially fresh juveniles as this bird is. Here is a link to a juvenile yellowlegs that I have previously posted to give an idea what the colors should look like.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...-in-alert-mode