Thread: Eurasian Griffon (Vulture) - Spain

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Eurasian Griffon (Vulture) - Spain

Attached Images Attached Images

I was re-editing this shot the other night, and figured I'd share the result since it's new to this board.

This was taken at Monfrague NP in Extremadura last spring. It was high overcast, and I was shooting
    down a steep ridge with the bird below me. The background is a lake that's probably 1,000 vertical
    feet below the bird. It was very windy, so that accounts for the waves that gave the image its gently
    textured background. I'm usually a huge fan or color in my frames, but I really like the ominous feeling
    the steely color lends this angel of death. I think it's a good pre-Halloween shot........

Canon 400mm f/4 IS DO II on EOS 1D Mark IV
    1/2000 at f/4, ISO 640, handheld
    Processes in LR CC. Clone out the slightest bit of shoreline in the extreme top left corner.

Cheers!
    Dorian

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Smart image.. I like the different POV and good detail on the bird. I would select the bird and give it a boost with levels, make it pop just a little more.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Superb image with a great dorsal view. The dark waves BKGR rocks! You did a good job with the face and everything else. For a big print, you might consider getting rid of the two white specks at the ends of the near primaries.

I love this image.

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Awesome bird and fantastic image. I agree with William's comments, would like to see the bird pop a bit more!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

This is such a nice image of Eurasian Griffon Vulture. The bird just looks really fantastic against that dark water. These birds are huge and quite beautiful. I saw many of them on my trip to Spain but as we discussed the photos are gone. I am not sure what you did with the edit but on my screen the colors, contrast and brightness are a little off. The whole shot has a yellow cast to it. I think it needs a touch more brightness and contrast as well. When you reduce the yellows then that cold steely color is enhanced and it gives the photo an even more ominous look. It also accentuates the earthy tones of the vulture. My edit is on top and I also ran a small amount of NR on the background.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Grant View Post
    This is such a nice image of Eurasian Griffon Vulture. The bird just looks really fantastic against that dark water. These birds are huge and quite beautiful. I saw many of them on my trip to Spain but as we discussed the photos are gone. I am not sure what you did with the edit but on my screen the colors, contrast and brightness are a little off. The whole shot has a yellow cast to it. I think it needs a touch more brightness and contrast as well. When you reduce the yellows then that cold steely color is enhanced and it gives the photo an even more ominous look. It also accentuates the earthy tones of the vulture. My edit is on top and I also ran a small amount of NR on the background.
    Yes, big improvement for sure. Thanks for the help!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dorian, excellent dorsal view and these guys are majestic flyers. Nice and sharp throughout the Vulture, and good DOF from wing tip to wing tip. I like the 'textured' wave pattern in the BG, and Isaac's repost takes this up a few notches.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love dorsal view flight shots like this one. The darker background works well here. Composition is nice as well.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dorian, the image looks great. As Artie suggested I would remove the two white specks on the tip of the near wing. A magnificent bird nicely shown. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A real beauty Dorian! I like the dorsal view, sharpness, detail and that sweet complimentary BG. This is a must print image!