Thread: Reedbuck

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Reedbuck

Attached Images Attached Images

I always find it so hard to accurately judge my own images.....I really like this one ! Perhaps it is because it was such a special morning. The Caprivi Strip is a special place however mostly if you veer of the main tar road that runs straight through the middle of it. This was taken on the banks of the Kavango river (becomes Okavango when it enters Bots) inside a non fenced game management area of sorts whose name alludes me. There was a little farm gate to enter and it cost about R30 a car however once inside I swear it might as well have been the Okavango Delta proper except without another car or person in sight for hours on end. Just endless Baobab trees, this beautiful river and scores of buffalo, elephant , warthog and kudu everywhere. Throw in sightings of Sable, Roan, Reedbuck and Lechwe and it honestly felt like we had found a secret garden of eden

Canon 1dx2
    200-400f4
    f/4
    1/640
    ISO1250
    Last edited by Basil Dardagan; 10-02-2018 at 02:30 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really like this one. All the grass show a nice environment here. The image would be improved by having the buck on the left or the right not so centered.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Basil - There's an ethereal feeling to this from the light and the warm color palette. I like this better with the reedbuck looking at the camera. I probably would have put the buck more to the left in the frame with the way the body is angled. Sounds like a special place to visit. Glad you got to enjoy it.

TFS,
    Rachel

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Basil, sounds an idilic location and with zero people or vehicles perhaps this can be your own 'patch'?

Like the previous image I think shooting at f?4 was the right choice, were you shooting from a car window as I think the angle is about right. Perhaps moving a fraction to the right may have avoided the grass over the nose, not always seen in the viewfinder, or in heat of the moment, but would have definitely helped the image. The rim light in particular around the ears is a nice touch, but I think you can push the image for a bit more tonal warmth, if that makes sense, but viewing on the laptop so I might reserve that thought. As presented I would loose some off the RHS due to the stance/pose of the Reedbuck.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

HI Basil -- your description of the place has set my imagination on roll . Must have been some place !

I liked the feel to this image , loved the soft colours and the eye contact . Just wished that OOF grass blade had not been there in front of the nose. I might also come in from RHS slightly to make it more off centre . But loved the colours here, nicely done.

TFS !

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A beautiful image, I would suggest making a curves layer and adjusting or adding a Auto Tonal Layer and adjusting opacity, there are so many different versions you could produce. Personally I would enhance contrast a little.