Thread: Mock Charge

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Mock Charge

Attached Images Attached Images

Out early again on a very cold, grey and dismal day. One of those days when you just want to stay in bed, warm.

Nothing was out, all the animals having more sense than us, but then we found a large group of young Rhino's (xx amount), but in this region poaching has been huge and devastating to the population and so cutting the horns has been adopted to hopefully help in keeping these wonderful animals alive, sadly from a photo POV it's not ideal, but I would photograph they guys anytime if it meant they are still alive.

We found them grazing where some pipework had been laid, hence the vast expanse of soil exposed, but one guy was a bit more feisty than the rest, just playful banter, but he decided to have a run at us, stopping a few meters away from the vehicle. At the time we just were watching them, vehicle stopped, engine off so all I could do was grab the camera and shoot. Yes, in an ideal world more room to the LHS, more SS & DoF, but it still turned out OK IMHO.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: White Rhino (Ceratotherium simum) mock charge
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 100-400f/4 MKII HH
    Exposure: 1/500s at f/5.6 ISO800
    Original format: Landscape, very small crop RHS & at the foot
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2018
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 10-02-2018 at 06:26 AM.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

If this was a grab shot you were lucky.... or you were pretty good! I really like the bent left foreleg and the dust cloud. The angle of the principal protagonist couldn't be much better - pretty much head on, looks like that horn is going straight for your lens! Composition looks good to me, I notice you have developed the hint of cloud to provide a nice ceiling. As you said, a little tight on the left, if you add tiny amounts of canvas and repeatedly do content aware fill I am sure your added canvas would be imperceptible. Sharpening appears to have been applied extremely effectively and selectively..... I'd be chuffed to bits with an image like this - well done.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

If this was a grab shot you were lucky....
    Lucky indeed Jon, but having the camera calibrated & using the Cases helps improve your chances that otherwise would slip away, cheers.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Its a cracking action shot that totally causes the viewer 'to be taken' by the danger of the moment. I agree about the space and all that however the drama of the charging rhino far outweighs anything else. Steve - Its good to see that even you will post/value wildlife images that aren't technically perfect because imho the best wildlife images don't always need perfect techs......
    The sharpness in the charging rhino is insane !! Wow

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful capture Steve, love the "attitude" from this Pointy Nose. Or rather what used to be a Pointy Nose, now sadly a Stubby One. But I am sure you'll agree, the species is still as majestic as ever and so impressive, despite the lack of horn. And especially when one encounters them at "close quarters"

Given the techs I gather this must have taken you by surprise. Nevertheless I find the main subject to be very sharp, POV is great, colours look natural, very nice detail. Love that dust BTW, great timing. I won't even touch the topic of composition because I know you too well, if you had the time you would have framed this perfectly.

This is a memorable moment well captured and carefully processed. My thoughts tonight, whenever I ask myself why I can never go to the wilderness without my cameras I come up withy the same answer: there are those special sightings I would never want to forget, I have to take them home with me and my cameras provide this option.

So I am sure you went home and at some stage settled down in front of the big screen reminiscing over those wonderful moments you experienced during your Africa trip. Time might fade those memories a little but you will always have those images to help you remember

Hope you have a lovely evening,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

My first though is looks like you were pretty close here. My second thought is i don't think i have seen this slow of a shutter speed from you. Details look good and it is sharp on the right rhino.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Its good to see that even you will post/value wildlife images that aren't technically perfect because imho the best wildlife images don't always need perfect techs......
    Thanks Basil, but two things too note: Firstly I will push folk on techs because I want them to achieve to nail the shots and not to let captures slip away, also to dispel any fears/hesitations they may have and to trust their kit. Secondly, rightly or wrongly I often see the potential in an image posted and want folk to get the most they can from their captures and ultimately, their hard work, but a lot is so simple and ALL based on the simple foundations - the 'bedrock' to any digital image.

- Get to know you camera and how far you can push it
    - Exposure ETTR (learn to trust your cameras Histogram)
    - Good techs
    - Avoid hefty crops
    - Learn to know what each image requires in PP and don't over do it - 'Less is more' and use the most up to date software (Raw converter & PS) if you are using the latest cameras
    - Keep you monitor calibrated

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheers John.

But I am sure you'll agree, the species is still as majestic as ever and so impressive, despite the lack of horn. And especially when one encounters them at "close quarters"
    ANY encounter that is at close quarters is great, irrespective of subject in my book, some like this are unplanned and some are where you gain the subjects trust which for me is the most rewarding.

Given the techs I gather this must have taken you by surprise.
    Indeed, I had resigned the morning to just watching as it was cold, overcast & uninspiring, how wrong - but with two lots of 'film crew' (LOL) behind me...

My thoughts tonight, whenever I ask myself why I can never go to the wilderness without my cameras I come up withy the same answer: there are those special sightings I would never want to forget, I have to take them home with me and my cameras provide this option.
    You should never be without your camera Gabriela for the thoughts you mentioned, you just never know what you may encounter, especially in your 'backyard' and this is the first time ever in 18 years I've not brought some camera kit with me up north!!!!

So I am sure you went home and at some stage settled down in front of the big screen reminiscing over those wonderful moments you experienced during your Africa trip.
    LOL, indeed some good, some less so moments, but all the trips are fun, that's why it's important to keep them diverse, however I'm still waiting for 'Paramount Pictures' (AKA Alison ) to start to edit all the video shot from the trip, it's backing up and before we know it, it will be soon to start the next one!!!

Safe travels to you too, Gabriela

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - This works well with the rhino on the rhs capturing the viewer's attention. I agree with your self critique and would also prefer that the charging rhino did not overlap the one in the bg but again those are the types of things that keep us going back and striving for the perfect image. It looks like they had some fun in the red mud. With the head on view the stump of a horn is not a problem. If it helps to save them, well worth it. From the pov I initially thought you were out of the vehicle.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- This definitely is a very nice image, and low Pav and the head on approach of the rhino makes it for me. Agree with your self critique regarding the techs and more space on the lhs, but the main point of interest is the charge and it has come out exceptionally well and makes the viewer engrossed in the image. IMO , this is a wonderful frame. TFS !