Thread: Polenstwa Lion

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Polenstwa Lion

Attached Images Attached Images

Dear Friends,

Browsing through various folders and looking for something to share I came upon this close-up of a male lion. I immediately remembered the shivers I experienced when he approached the vehicle and the frenzy that accompanied my search for a smaller lens! I did eventually manage to pick up the 70-200 but unfortunately by then my subject turned away and roared towards his companion who was following at some distance.

This was captured near a beautiful spot in the Kalahari Transfrontier Park known as Polentswa. The place is situated on the Botswana side and is rather remote, for this reason it has become my favourite camping spot over the years. There is a waterhole nearby where I have spent many hours watching animals come to drink as well as lots of avian species.

The two males were both roaring when we left the camp so my companion and I were well aware of their presence. It was easy to pick up their spoor (tracks) in the sandy road, there is hardly any traffic there. As soon as we saw them we decided to stop the vehicle and wait for them to come closer, it did take a while as they were busy sniffling every bush and stopped to roar from time to time looking down towards the waterhole.

I have shared other images of this lion which included the environment, so for a change I decided to show you this one. By the way it is almost FF. I know it is tight but I quite like getting close

Processed in LR and PSCC. Almost FF.

Techs as follows:

Nikon D5
    Nikon 500 F4
    ISO 1000
    F9
    1/2000s

Thank you so much for taking the time to view and comment on my previous images, I really appreciate it.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Whoa you caught a great view of this Guy. Agree with you on being too tight. But my eye goes right to the lion's eye. The details and light are very nice.

3. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much John:)

I cropped from the bottom mainly, and a bit from the RHS.

It was really awesome to have this guy walk so close to the car window. I gather he was preoccupied with sniffling scent from a female or it might have been his pride he was looking for. All I got was one glance and thereafter he ignored me completely. Youngsters are quite inquisitive so I am more careful when they approach, one sank his teeth into my bean bag two years ago while I was busy taking photographs of his mother
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Awesome image with a tight crop that DEFINATELY WORKS imo

6. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Basil,

Thank you so much! I know you love lions just as much as I do - when are you planning to visit Botswana again? I have already booked my camping spots for early next year and so looking forward to this trip.

Chat soon, many thanks again for viewing and kind comments, have a super Sunday!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, good call on the choice of kit & techs, no harm here in keeping that SS up as the guys were on the move. Solid, tight portrait, but I think if you have time, worth just exploring in getting a bit more tonal range in the mane to give that depth. I know time is precious, but a little time on some 'homework' will put you in good stead for past, current and future images.

Safe travel.

TFS
    Steve

9. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela - I like tight portraits and this one works. It's nice that the light was on your side and lit the whole face. Good details, especially in the dark gums. Sharpness is good too. Dof was a good choice.

TFS,
    Rachel

11. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rachel, just wondering whether my Polenstwa boy here would make friends with your Uncle Scar

And Steve, I will do some homework as soon as I get back from Kruger - need new images to play with, so hold thumbs please

Wishing you both a great week, and many thanks for viewing and feedback - much appreciated as always.

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela -- Cracking details and loved the light . Those eyes are so mesmerising . Just loved the way he is giving that glance . Colours and tones look very nice to me.

I totally loved this image, very nicely done. TFS !

14. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post