Thread: Sushi with seaweed salad

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sushi with seaweed salad

Attached Images Attached Images

Another Tern image from the very low activity Bolsa Chica early in summer, hope you like this one

Nikon D5 with Nikon 600mm f/4 E FL + TC14-E III ISO 800 f/5.6 1/4000sec hand held processed with C1P
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the trailing seaweed and the way you have framed it to end in the LLC.
    I would crop out the blue at the top-it pulls my eye away and if you do a browser scroll, eliminating the blue really helps make the bird pop against that multi=colored green BG.
    The wing position is excellent.
    The bird looks a bit crunchy to me as presented.
    I know I am in the minority here (and do not want to offend) but I do not find the IQ of your images with the Nikon gear as good as you had with your Canon gear. With your Canon gear, the images were less contrasty and for lack of a better word "creamier" if that makes sense.
    Gail
    Last edited by gail bisson; 09-25-2018 at 08:13 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Trail of seaweed is a real plus. I like the two-tone BG, but when I did a browser crop I realized what Gail was saying: the image seems to have more punch if you crop the blue out. Personal preference.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gail bisson View Post
    I love the trailing seaweed and the way you have framed it to end in the LLC.
    I would crop out the blue at the top-it pulls my eye away and if you do a browser scroll, eliminating the blue really helps make the bird pop against that multi=colored green BG.
    The wing position is excellent.
    The bird looks a bit crunchy to me as presented.
    I know I am in the minority here (and do not want to offend) but I do not find the IQ of your images with the Nikon gear as good as you had with your Canon gear. With your Canon gear, the images were less contrasty and for lack of a better word "creamier" if that makes sense.
    Gail
    Thanks Gail for your honest critique, it is funny that I have exactly the opposite impression. I have made some of the most detailed BIF images in my life with the Nikon gear in the short while I have had it. It must be our monitors, or something else. Frankly Canon doesn't hold a candle to Nikon when it comes to AF and IQ, especially with the new D850...If I were you and I had the dough, I'd definitely switch to Nikon like the rest of us to take advantage of the new technology both AF and IQ. I was quite successful with Canon but you don't know what you are missing until you switch. If in doubt, ask Artie :)

best
    Last edited by arash_hazeghi; 09-25-2018 at 10:35 AM.

Visit my blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

here is a repost with different crop,

I had to fill in some of the blue spots in the BG

Visit my blog

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi arash,
    Love the trailing seaweed and would also vote for a crop or pano without the blue. The feathers on the nearest down wing do not look defined, sharp, but rather look muddied, painterly. I also do not wish to offend but rather, your processed images are in my opinion not the same stellar quality you consistently produced with Canon/DPP... My 5K IMac is calibrated (SPYDER) and i realize it is not the top of the line, however, it remains noticeable to my eyes. I am not disputing the AF of Nikon bc I do not shoot with Nikon, I am honestly commenting on your processed image. In general, I fairly see less IQ overall with others who now process/post their Nikon images... It may be difficult or denied when Nikon has AF blazing abilities, however, the processed images are not the quality that was a consistent standard. Respectfully, Ann

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Arash, lovely image. Thank you for sharing. Well, since I have always used Nikon gear I guess I am used to seeing the clean quality of the images produced. Now that I have a monitor equal to the task (Eizo) it is a whole new world opened up. Your image looks spot on, the sharpness and clarity are wonderful. The Nikon images are different, the file is cleaner to begin with, which produces better quality in the final image. Just my two cents.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by annmpacheco View Post
    Hi arash,
    Love the trailing seaweed and would also vote for a crop or pano without the blue. The feathers on the nearest down wing do not look defined, sharp, but rather look muddied, painterly. I also do not wish to offend but rather, your processed images are in my opinion not the same stellar quality you consistently produced with Canon/DPP... My 5K IMac is calibrated (SPYDER) and i realize it is not the top of the line, however, it remains noticeable to my eyes. I am not disputing the AF of Nikon bc I do not shoot with Nikon, I am honestly commenting on your processed image. In general, I fairly see less IQ overall with others who now process/post their Nikon images... It may be difficult or denied when Nikon has AF blazing abilities, however, the processed images are not the quality that was a consistent standard. Respectfully, Ann
    Thanks for your comments Ann

I am sorry but it looks like we are looking at different images. I have no idea what you two are talking about by muddied or paintery etc. that's how a tern that came out of water with wet wings looks like , the Tern looks crisp and tack sharp to my eye from here. Funny, I often find your images to have strange color casts and noise issues so there is some fundamental disconnect here.... you might be running your monitor scaled by mistake....I don't know but I am quite happy with this image

best
    Last edited by arash_hazeghi; 09-25-2018 at 01:48 PM.

Visit my blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty sweet Arash. I've toggled back and forth on the OP and RP and I think I actually like the one with the blue more. Since the bird is somewhat small in the frame on either one I like having the blue to break up the greens. The trailing seaweed is sweet and I like the bit on the shoulder. The detail on the neck of the bird is especially cool. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm with Alex. I love the blue strip. I believe that the wet feathers are what is making the bird look as if it was over-sharpened, i.e., crunchy. I like my Nikon files just fine. But I do not have the eye for details that the rest of the boys and girls do :)

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

ps: I love the image and the seaweed streamer and the perfect downstroke.

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Did you get your 500 PF yet Artie ?

Visit my blog

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Arash,

Superb image design. Well exposed, love the colours, IMO the blue sky adds to the frame.
    Beautiful detail and sharpness. A very attractive frame and I enjoyed viewing, very much - thank you so much for sharing

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

thanks Gabriela the blue was actually water, this image was taken from the famous bridge in Bolsa Chica

Visit my blog

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I see... Thank you Arash, I just assumed it was sky
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with what has been said. Is the first image cropped any or full frame?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    Did you get your 500 PF yet Artie ?
    :(

with love, a

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    :(

with love, a
    you are going to love it.
    Last edited by arash_hazeghi; 09-25-2018 at 09:23 PM.

Visit my blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is super cool. I've never seen anything like this, and I've spent a lot of time looking at terns. I'm torn on the crop as I think both versions work well. Personal preference, as others have noted. I understand the slightly 'crunchy' wing
    comment from some, but that is what wet wings and angled sun often yield. Great image regardless!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    you are going to love it.
    I'm trying hard!

a

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    I'm with Alex. I love the blue strip. I believe that the wet feathers are what is making the bird look as if it was over-sharpened, i.e., crunchy. I like my Nikon files just fine. But I do not have the eye for details that the rest of the boys and girls do :)

with love, artie
    Its interesting that you mention the effect of wetness on the look of apparent oversharpening. I had exactly the same problem a few days ago in the wildlife forum with mixed results.