Thread: Mid-river repose

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Mid-river repose

Attached Images Attached Images

The last of the yellowlegs in Canada are heading out. This guy was around yesterday, and was actually chasing fish in the river, grabbing small perch and carp from the water as they passed him. Most of the time, they managed to wriggle free and swim off, but he did succeed in dispatching one and swallowing it. I've never seen either yellowlegs species fish before, but for those of you who don't believe me, I have pictures (albeit bad ones) to prove it! Absent any quality fishing shots, I did manage a few of the bird resting in the river, where the water was moving rather quickly due to a strong squall line coming through the night before and dumping copious rain all over the area (along with a tornado further west in Gatineau). Of all the shots I took in this pose, I liked this one the best because I think the lines in the background from the swirling water echo the shape of the bird's body as he's resting there. It's also one of the few shots where the wind is giving the bird a bit of a bad hair day.

Bringing the image into Photoshop, the water was almost electric blue, so I warmed up the entire image with NIK Viveza and further added a bit of yellow and red, then decreased the overall blue saturation. The bird had to be lightened by about 1/3 stop, with the white belly masked off to keep the whites under 250, and the background about 1/2 stop. A little noise reduction, and voilā. My overall aim was to keep the f stop as open as possible, as with any other time I shoot in the river, since the natural movement of the water tends to create all sorts of background lines and blobs that are much better soft than sharp.

1/2700 @ f/7.1, ISO 400
    5D mkIV, 500mm f/4 IS, 1.4x TC III on the tripod
    DPP/PS

Thanks for your C&C,
    Jake

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice. Especially the perfect sleeping head angle. Greater Yellowlegs often fish, often in small groups in a manner similar to avocets, running through the water. I will assume that this juvenile bird is a greater based on its bulk and the timing of its fairly fresh juvenal plumage.

with love, artie

ps: DeSoto has been beyond mega ....
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks good Jake. Perfect head angle and eye contact. I like the movement in the water as well. I would add a touch more room below to give some room for the bottom of the legs and the feet. Add enough as if the legs and feet were showing and then you give it a bit more room after that. So assume the "virtual legs" are there.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice sharp shot of this guy. If you have the space, I'd move him up in the frame a bit. Image still looks a bit cool to me, and I'm always on the blue side of things (personal preference).