Thread: skimmer scythe comin at me...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Default skimmer scythe comin at me...

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken at Nickerson this late summer. I will hold on to this head on shot till next summer... There is a dusky "halo" on the top of the head that trails off onto the top of the back and it just bugs me... This was on the RAW file and it seems to me it is a dof artifact; what would you do if anything about it? Cleaned up some noise in the underwings and also removed a lone grass that was intersecting the wing. I like how the tip of the mandibles show at the bottom of the underbelly. When you see a skimmers bill it is robust, the girth around the upper and lower mandibles is by no means "slim." At this angle, the fabulous beak takes on an entirely different view.
    DPP, crop, levels, sharpening, NR.

1Dx
    840mm
    ISO 1600
    1/1600

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the dusky halo as it sets off the head ... A very fine image overall. I like the soft light and the knife-edge bill.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super cool perspective here Ann. I really like the head on shot. You killed it with the skimmers at Nickerson. Congrats. With regards to the halo if you want to remove it, select that area, go to HUE/SATURATION, select the blue channel and lower it until the halo disappears. Probably have to go to -100 on this one but try and it see what you think. I would increase the exposure by .25 stops and add 5 points of warmth using Viveza to top this one off.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello,

wow perfect in flight catch, i like it as it is.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Far out, Ann. I would not change a thing in this great head-on flight capture. Above all, personally the dusky "halo" looks beautiful, and would leave it just as is. The light is spectacular, and I love that we can see the full beak with the dark tip. Also love the slight head tilt. Wonderful grasses, and great BG. Well done.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another vote for the halo! I think it really help pull our attention right to his/her face. I'd kill for a head on view like this. That beak is just amazing from this angle.
    The trailing feet are perfect!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think you have a real winner here Ann. I would be happy with it just the way it is. That thin beak is amazing from this dead on view!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Birds flying towards you can be a challenge. Nice work here. Good point about the head-on perspective and how it shows the shape of the beak.