Thread: Mean and Lean

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Mean and Lean

Attached Images Attached Images

Dear Friends,

Tonight I am sharing an older image, taken in October 2014. Sighting occurred near a waterhole close to Mata Mata camp, time was 077 am. Light is pretty harsh in the Kalahari, looking at the techs I could have easily dropped ISO but for some reason I did not think about it. Maybe I was anticipation some action, not sure...It has been a while

This is one powerful lioness whom I have known for some years and at the time she was in a coalition with another two females and accompanied by three subadults. A rather winning combination, they all looked healthy and fit and ready to tackle any challenge, in fact we were lucky to see this old girl chase a giraffe up a nearby dune.

If you find the composition too tight do let me know, I have plenty of space around but decided to crop because I needed to eliminate a shadow from another lioness walking behind the subject. Image processed in LR and PSCC. Cloned out a few pebbles and the remains of the shadow. Too many stones in the FG but nothing I can do about it, what I do like about this is the determined no-nonsense look on the lioness's face as well as POV.

On a more personal note, I truly love lions and every single image is precious to me. There are so many of images of the species in my folders but I am highly critical of my work so I often refrain from sharing. Hope you do not find this too boring, and you are welcome to critique as much as you like as well as RP.

Thank you kindly for viewing, I really appreciate it.

Nikon D4
    Nikon 500mm F4
    ISO 400
    F7.1
    1/3200s

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela - Nice look at this lioness. The colors and tones look good. I would like a little more room all around but understand cropping to eliminate the shadow. Not sure why you felt it necessary to clone out a couple of stones. You handled the harsh light well. With her angled slightly I might have gone for a little more dof given you had so much ss. Looks like you were close.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Rachel,

Indeed frame is a bit tight but the shadow from the other lioness was so long, I had no choice but to crop. This is the reason why I never shared this image

The stones I removed were very dark and somewhat bothersome - it wasn't really necessary to clone them out but I could not help it, I must have some form of obsessive compulsive disorder because I like everything in order, LOL

And yes I was very close. BTW Andreas was there too, I am sure he will remember this sighting. She walked towards the vehicle and then crossed the road in front of us. One of those moments when one wonders if it wouldn't be a good idea to close the window

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it. Nice pose on the lion. The point of view is nice. Derails look great. I enjoyed viewing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you John, very kind words from you, much appreciated:)
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela -- This is a very nice image. I liked the details and the colours . Agree with your self critique abt the techs. I like the space all around and works for me as presented. The best part is the handling of the light , which is where you have done extremely well and managed to bring out such lovely details. Very nice image .

TFS !

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela I like everything about the image except one thing, I appreciate there's now't you can do about it, yes I am sure you have guessed.... the eyes, if they had been remotely engaging the image would have had infinitely more impact in my opinion.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a nice girl and happy with the framing granted your shadow intrusion Gabriela, for 7.07am that shadow length is already very short and that harsh Kalahari light reminds me so much of South Luangwa late dry season,........brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    in fact we were lucky to see this old girl chase a giraffe up a nearby dune.
    Now that would have been a wonderful sight, did you manage any frames, as I don't remember you ever posting any here?

TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Haseeb, Jon and Marc,

Jon, I think I have posted some time ago a number of frames with this lioness making eye contact. Trying to avoid sharing images you have already seen Wait until I get back from Kruger, LOL

And Marc, yes I did post the chase, just cannot remember what title I gave that particular frame so not sure how to find it. I promise to send you a link when I do.

Have a lovely evening,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I found the image of the chase, Marc Here is the thread: http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...n-(for-Morkel)

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A typical Kgalagadi image with a typically beautiful lion from there. Comp is too tight imo however there nothing you can do about that

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, pretty much spot on, just a tad more below if possible. Love the mean look, nice processing too, you have created some excellent 'form' to give the body structure/contour. The habitat has also created excellent standout for the subject.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you very much, Steve
    Gabriela Plesea