Thread: Flame Robin (Tasmania)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Flame Robin (Tasmania)

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi fellow birders,
    Here's my second post from our recent Tasmania trip. This Flame robin was captured around half way up Mt Wellington. It hovered around my hire car, then landing on the ground and hopping up to a branch, posing quite nicely on the ground. I have three shots...this one, one facIng the other way at more of an acute angle, and one looking straight at me. I decided to post this one, but would like to know if i should post the others?
    I didn't mess with the colour of the breast...just some noise reduction...more on the background than the bird and just some highlight/shadow adjustment. Cheers.
    7Dii, 100-400 at 400mm, 1/400th sec at 5.6 in AV mode, iso800.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The bird looks great as do the colors on the breast.
    I wish you had been able to get lower so that the shooting angle was a little less steep but likely you did not have time.
    Your comp is fine but I would try a 4 x 6 crop.
    I would not post the image of the bird facing the other way - I assume you mean with bird looking to his right or perhaps you mean a look back pose?
    If it is a look back pose I would post that within this thread.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gail,
    Thank you...will try the 4x6 crop as suggested. I tried to reply to your pm but it said your inbox was full...so I'll try your zenfolio site.
    Cheers,
    Paul

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paul,

Yes, getting lower would have improved this one a whole lot. SH and EXP are superb. I am pretty sure that you could tone down/get a bit more detail out of the REDs. LMK if you need some suggestions there.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie,
    Many thanks for the feedback. I'll have a go at toning down the reds using the hsl in photoshop...but if you have other suggestions I'm all ears. EXP (exposure)...SH?
    Cheers.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Burdett View Post
    Hi Artie,
    Many thanks for the feedback. I'll have a go at toning down the reds using the hsl in photoshop...but if you have other suggestions I'm all ears. EXP (exposure)...SH?
    Cheers.
    YAW. HSL is good during the conversion; experiment there with the REDs and the ORANGEs, mostly with the luminance slider. After that, or when re-visiting the master file, you can try adding 40-90 points of CYAN to the REDs in Selective Color. A repost by you would be great.

with love, artei
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Orange looks about right for this species, don't change it too much. Luminance mask for the brights should do the trick.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Flame Robin repost

Attached Images Attached Images

Here's a repost of the Flame Robin. I took Gail's suggestion and cropped to 4x6. What do you think?
    Artie: I reduced the oranges/reds in HSL a little...but not too much, as I agree with Gerhard here. I also added around 25% cyan to the reds in selective colour and reduced the overall opacity a little until I was happy with the overall result. Artie: Just realized that SH is shadow/highlights (still learning the lingo...lol)
    Cheers.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Much, much better. SH is my two letter acronym for Sharpness. Sorry. Neither HSL or the adding CYAN trick has much effect on the actual color, just on the detail and the apparent saturation.

with love, arite

ps: see all and tons more in the current workflow guide, DB II.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie,
    Thank you for the kind feedback and info...always good to learn new photoshop adjustments.
    Paul

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paul, I cleared out my inbox! Thanks for letting me know!
    Gail

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Burdett View Post
    Hi Gail,
    Thank you...will try the 4x6 crop as suggested. I tried to reply to your pm but it said your inbox was full...so I'll try your zenfolio site.
    Cheers,
    Paul