Thread: Common darter - mating

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Common darter - mating

Attached Images Attached Images

Hand held grab shot. I got this in the back garden, but as I alluded to previously and just to show willing, I went out this morning, I was out at 7am driving to a nature reserve to get some dragons in the dew. I returned at 10.30 - didn't even get the camera out of the backpack! I saw craneflies and butterflies but no dragonflies.
    Canon 5D IV Canon 180mm macro
    ACR + PSCC All comments welcome.

The male is the red one, he has hold of the female by her head with his claspers. Looking at the other end the female is taking sperm from the male but before he passes his sperm he uses some organs in between his thorax segments to scrape out any sperm there may have been from a previous mating, this explains why they frequently remain coupled for some time.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

For a grab frame this is pretty alright. Too bad about the leaf. You should have taken some dew covered cranefly or butterfly frames.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have mixed feelings about this. very sharp from head to tail for both insects. Lovely pose and great capture, yes, the bottom leaf may be a distraction. I like the description of what is happening, as I don't know much about the insect behavior.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Jon, This one is really well done. What I like best about it is that the two bodies are both plenty sharp with plenty of d-o-f.

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you for the feedback everyone, much appreciated.