Thread: Red-capped Robin

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red-capped Robin

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken last week. DPP4 and CCPS cropped and light sharpen.
    1DXII 400mm F/2.8L II & 2XIII 800mm 1/400 f10 iso800 HH

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Neat little bird in a somewhat cluttered setting. Super sharp. The birds is angled a bit away from us -- bad luck on that.

The huge problem is that the REDs are mega hot/enamel looking without any detail. I tried adding 100 points of CYAN to the REDs in Selective Color but that did not help. Next I went to the HSL (Hue-Saturation-Luminance) tab in the Camera RAW filter. Reducing the Luminance of the RED channel 53 points did the trick. I made a few other tweaks to the REDs as well. Issues like this are best dealt with during the RAW conversion. What do you use to convert your RAW files?

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really nice looking little bird.The HA and crossing stick are unfortunate. Artie RP is an improvement. TFS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments. Artie, I thought the original reds were slightly over cooked (orange-ish) so tried to fix that in DPP4. Here is the original minus the extra branch and foliage which I didn't mind as it was part of the habitat.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The bright colors (whatever they are, REDs or ORANGEs) are still cooked and look like detail-less enamel :( Try another one working with the REDs and ORANGEs on the HSL tab in DPP 4 -- decrease the luminance of one or both until you are happy with the color. That will tone them down and introduce some detail.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I prefer the hue of the reds in the first two, but I do not know this species so I cannot comment on the accuracy of which is closest to reality. Cute bird, good job with the eye. I'm OK with the small clutter of branches in lower right corner, but yes it was unfortunate that it turned its head away at the time.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Red hue in first two images are what one would expect for this species, the composition of the third image looks best to me.