Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Cory's shearwater

Attached Images Attached Images

Hand held in a rib
    Canon 5D IV Canon 100-400L IS II
    ISO 800, 1/2000 sec f8
    ACR + PSCC
    Having really struggled in the swell of the ocean, it suddenly came to me as we got back in harbour, I should have tried Liveview - especially for the dolphins.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A good shot but would have been better with the near wing also in focus, but I guess that is motion blur. Also a bit flat and could do with a bit if levels adjustment all IMHO.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am sure it was difficult to get this fine shot of the shearwater from a moving rib - well done!
    It may not be the best wing position though. I would have preferred the near wing in an upright position not covering the body of the bird.

Regards Steen

Threads
    Thank You Posts

With that near-wing sticking right in our face it is a miracle that the eye is sharp. I see two white halos along the bottom of the bird, especially prominent at the rear. Did you make some sort of selectin?

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the feedback, I have some more perhaps in poses you may prefer.
    Artie - eagle eye, yes in ACR I lifted the exposure of the bird, I selected auto mask and did not refine it.... Lesson learned!

6. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'd love to get a shot of this guy. The bird is nice and sharp except for the motion-blurred wings; with a good HA. Not an easy one to capture. One with a raised near wing would also be good.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

First off what is a rib? The bird is nice and sharp i like the flight pose here. The water background is nice.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Mack View Post
    First off what is a rib? The bird is nice and sharp i like the flight pose here. The water background is nice.
    Bill I may have something to follow.
    John a RIB or rib is a rubber inflatable boat, the hull is fibreglass - a bit like a zodiac but this one was long and narrow, you sit almost standing up on what are effectively enlarged bicycle seats......not as painful as it sounds the seats are mounted with shock absorbers.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Jonathan, thank you for posting a bird I have not seen before. The head, bill, and tail feathers are so unique. I think you did good know how fast the bird must have been flying and then throw in being in a moving boat, well done. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Przybyla View Post
    Hey Jonathan, thank you for posting a bird I have not seen before. The head, bill, and tail feathers are so unique. I think you did good know how fast the bird must have been flying and then throw in being in a moving boat, well done. Thank you for sharing.
    Thanks Jo glad you liked it......I'll not tell you how many went in the recycle bin!