Thread: Sulphur tuft

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sulphur tuft

Attached Images Attached Images

Stack of 17 images. I am not 100% on the ID, the tops are variable in colour and often more yellow. The stem on the right is actually a little fuzzy - due to trauma! I saw this small log on the woodland floor and carefully picked it up trying not to disturb any mushrooms, unfortunately a small strand of ivy brushed against it. I took the log back to the car, my hands were dull with camera, bean bag and dogleash, so I gently put the log on the ground. Much to my relief Barney didn't come and niff it. I put Barney in the trunk and put the camera and bag away safely, I very gently picked the log up and it disintegrated in my hand - the best mushroom configuration lay spreadeagled on the ground! Anyhow I managed to get this home and photographed it in the back garden. Hope you like the background, I thought it looked natural, it is partly lawn and the under edge of a hedge.

Tripod , Canon 5D IV, Canon 180mm macro
    ISO 100 Av Mode -1/3, 1/10 sec f11
    ACR + PSCC

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon,
    I like the natural feel to the image with all the textures and bits on the log and the mushrooms rising from it in good contrast. I notice the fuzziness of the stem on the right as you mention - looks kind of odd there. The mushroom on the far left does not look as sharp as the others. Was that part of the focus stack? Nice BG and interesting image.
    Allen

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks pretty good for the situation you describe. I would have taken that left mushroom out. The composition is nice and the mushrooms prop against that dark background. I can see some evidence of your stacking or maybe you cloned something on the tallest mushroom.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Allen, John thanks for the comments. The mushroom far left was about 2-3 inches behind the front cluster, maybe a few more stacks would have been beneficial. The tallest one Jon, I cant see what it is you are referring to - but no cloning on the mushroom - there was a tiny tiny area where I removed a tatty leaf at the base of the green section between mushroom 1 and 2 in the front cluster.
    the ID is a little tenuous, I am confident it is a tuft but sulphur tufts as you might guess usually have yellow heads, but then again commonest things are common.