Thread: Stilt sandpiper in the river

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Stilt sandpiper in the river

Attached Images Attached Images

Another shot of the rather tame juvenile stilt at Ste-Martine. I wanted to capture some images of the feeding behaviour, but lots of my shots had a head angle that was pointed too far down to visualize the eye properly. Either that, or there was a lesser yellowlegs doing some very impressive photobombing. I managed to get a few that I liked, however, and of those I decided this one was the right one to go with. Do you prefer this one to the portrait, or the other way around, and why?

5D mkIV, 500mm f/4 IS, 1.4x TC III on a tripod
    1/1300 @ f/6.3, ISO 400
    DPP/PS (very little done to the image apart from a little detail extractor and a slight crop for presentation)

Thanks for looking,
    Jake

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like them both, but I think I'll give a slight edge to this one as I like the better view of the feathers and the neat visible foot through the water.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Jake. I like this image as I like the moving water and how the bird stands out really well. On my phone, this image looks great. Sharp and really nice. When I view it on the 5k Imac the head and body look a touch soft and it does not have the same crispness to it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I’ve been noticing myself that some of the images on the BPN site look a touch fuzzy when I look at them on the computer, but if I bring them into Photoshop on the same file they look fine. In any case I could probably stand to sharpen it. I might have neglected to run the unsharp mask on this one.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like them both. The bill in this photo seems a bit lost in the darker parts of the background ...

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.