Thread: Black-footed Albatross

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Black-footed Albatross

Attached Images Attached Images

So California pelagic birding season is in full swing, and I'm spending virtually every weekend on boats 30 miles
    out in the Pacific. I've done all sorts of bird photography, and I can say with little doubt that photographing
    pelagic birds is as hard as it gets. Not only do you have to survive often very rough seas, but pelagic birds
    move really fast -especially when they're wind aided. Plus the boat is usually pitching a fair amount, so there's
    the confounding variable of a moving photographer and a moving subject. Lighting is rarely idea as we don't reach
    the best offshore waters until the middle of the day. So, anytime I get something decent I'm pretty stoked.

This was one of my favorites from last year. I decided to go small-in-frame here to show the ocean habitat
    in which these incredible birds thrive. With just a 7-foot wingspan, the Black-footed is one of the smaller
    albatrosses. He's still an incredible glider, knifing through gale force winds with ease. They're really beautiful!

Canon 400mm f/4 IS DO II + 1.4x III on EOS 5D Mark IV
    1/4000 at f/5.6, ISO 400, handheld

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love this BIF with habitat,like the wing top banking pose too,beautifully done Dorian.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice small in the frame image.
    I like where you placed the albatross in the frame.
    Despite being small in the frame, there are good details on the bird!
    I call pelagic photography "extreme photography"!! Really strengthens the core muscles and arm muscles!
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very Nice Colorful Image. I could see another version in which I would have taken a little at bottom ( white water waves ) and added more at the top.

TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looking real good Dorian. Small in frame works nicely here. Good flight pose on the bird, and I love the FG and BG colours.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice banking pose and nice habitat image. Try to get to Midway if they ever open it again :)

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the setting you captured in this small in frame image. It certainly shows the extreme conditions you have endure to get images like this. I know I will never have one like this in my files, I like my feet on the ground. Well done Dorian!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This i one of my favorite images i have seen on here in awhile. Very different from what is usually posted. Nice one.