Thread: Anna's Hummingbird at Trailing Patunia

Tom Callahan

Default Anna's Hummingbird at Trailing Patunia

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 40D, 4 off camera flashes (420 EX) in softboxes, Canon ST-E2, ETTL, 1/250, F/16, Canon 400mm 5.6 lens, aperture priority, ISO 100. Shot in the shade.
    I have a question. I have been using the off camera flash for awhile with the hummers. I'll use 4 on the bird and one on the background. In this image the BG flash malfunctioned, but I liked it anyway. So, with the soft boxes I get great color saturation, but can't freeze the wings. With the flash and a diffuser, or without, I can freeze the wings, however the color isn't as nice and I get a lot of specular highlighting. Help? Thanks

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Tom
    This is a gorgeous hummer and I personally love the dark BG. Did you mean to post it here.....is it captive? I don't have any experience in multiple flash setups so I'll have to see if I can get you an answer from some of the others.

Tom Callahan

I am new to this site and perhaps there would be a better place to post this for what I am looking for. If so, please advise. Thank you. I may not be interpreting "hand of man" correctly either.
    Last edited by Tom Callahan; 01-09-2008 at 09:53 AM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the dark BG too. I personally like the wings to be blurred in most hummingbird pictures.

Tom Callahan

I too like the blur at times. But I really want to master the wing freezing with good color saturation as well. I have seen some images that are just stunning. Thanks

Linda Robbins

Hi Tom -

I will be happy to help you with your hummingbird multiple flash set-ups, but I need a little more information on your flash set up and the settings you are using on your flashes. It sounds as if you are using TTL for all your flashes? Are you using a flash meter? Where are you placing your flashes, and how far away are they from your feeder?

I think your problems are arising because you are using TTL on your flashes. It is hard to know the actual power and duration with TTL, and the slash can be fooled into overexposing when you are photographing a small subject with a distant background.
    It is hard to know the actual power and thus the duration of the flash output.

I think you will obtain more control, and get better results if you set your flashes manually to a low power.

This photograph is lovely, except that I personally am not a fan of black backgrounds since hummingbirds don't feed at night. Nice feeding pose and head angle, and the flowers are pretty. If you send me an email with your settings etc. I can give you further information that may help!

Linda Robbins
    lindaasart@aol.com

BPN Viewer
    I livein Coupeville, WA on beautiful Whidbey Island.
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think this is a great shot. No nits from me.

Tom Callahan

Thanks to all for your suggestions and compliments. I think I'm going to like this web site :)

Del Cockroft

This is a very pleasing picture and I specially like the lovely colours in this bird.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice image, Tom! The black bg really makes it pop even if it isn't a natural bg for hummers. Linda has alot of experience with this and gave you some excellant advice.
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.

Tom Callahan

Thanks again I will try to put it to good use.

ashkan ojaghi

Hi very good job i really loved the picture using the multiple flash is effected on the quality and the subject(s) are contrasty and sharp .. thank you for posting this picture ..