Thread: Stiltie in golden sunset

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Stiltie in golden sunset

Attached Images Attached Images

It's no secret around these parts that a very tame stilt sandpiper has been hanging around the local shorebird spot. Oddly enough, he's made a friend with one of the resident lesser yellowlegs, and apart from feeding and resting together, if the yellowlegs flies off somewhere else, the sandpiper always follows him. Ergo, you get a decent number of photobombs from the second bird, but if you manage to herd him away in hopes of getting a better shot, the stilt will just follow along to wherever you've sent the yellowlegs off to. Has anyone seen this behaviour before?

This is one of the few times I managed to get the stilt sandpiper on his own in a nice portrait pose. The water is the Châteauguay river, which drains into the St. Lawrence about 15 miles downstream. Please let me know if the head and eye are to your liking viz. detail and sharpness.

5D mkIV, 500mm f/4 IS, 1.4x TC III, tripod mounted
    1/1300 @ f/6.3, ISO 400
    DPP/PS

Thanks,
    Jake

Edited to put up a better image file
    Last edited by Jake Levin; 09-10-2018 at 04:19 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice. That is some sweet light. The bird really pops with the darker water behind him.

3. Thanks Jake Levin thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The one and only time I photographed a Stilt Sandpiper (my favorite species of shorebird BTW) it was associating with a Lesser Yellowlegs and behaving the way you describe here. Great for side-by-side comparison images. Nice light, and I texture on the water surface. I also like the dark BG.

5. Thanks Jake Levin thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the pose, composition and agree that the bird stands out nicely from the BG. Nice image Jake.

7. Thanks Jake Levin thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice as noted above. Noe that there are two incoming first winter scapulars, the grey feathers just below the rusty-fringed feathers. As with Dunlin, it is more than rare to see a young stilt without any first-winter feathers coming in.

with love, arite
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

9. Thanks Jake Levin thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very Nice Image. Beautifully Captured.

I do feel that horizon may be slightly tilted (ever so slightly).

Thanks for sharing.

11. Thanks Jake Levin thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really pops on that blue background, well done! I am very envious as this is one of only 2-3 North American shorebirds that I am missing in my collection.
    I've seen hundreds while birding but never well enough to capture.

13. Thanks Jake Levin thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A species on my wish list too. Very nicely captured against the dark BG; nice water texture and good pose. Based on the plane of focus in the water, I would agree that a slight CW rotation would help, but no big deal. Did you get any side-by-side shots with the Stiltie and the Yellow-legs? That could make a very useful field guide.

15. Thanks Jake Levin thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I did a bit of leveling as some have suggested. Thoughts? I think the sandpiper is in fact standing on a bit of flat river bottom (if you look at his feet and the water around them), and the water to his right is sloping down due to the natural course of the river. In any case, I put in a bit of CW rotation to see how it looks. Trying to strike a balance between the water on the right hand side and not having the bird tipped over. Appreciate your thoughts as always.
    Last edited by Jake Levin; 09-11-2018 at 01:07 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well captured, I really like the pose. Lovely feather detail, and light.

Will

18. Thanks Jake Levin thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm fine with both horizons :) Hey, what horizons???
    artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.