Thread: Uinta chipmunk

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Uinta chipmunk

Attached Images Attached Images

I made this image at Bryce Canyon National Park.

These Chipmunks are used to People on the Trails and they come very close to them. We were hiking Navajo Trail and stopped at Queens Garden Trail to have some snacks.

This Little Guy was very curious and wanted to check us out.

Nikon D850, 70-200 f/4
    ISO 1600, f/9, 1/500 sec
    Matrix Metering, Manual Mode
    Handheld.

Let me know your thoughts and comments.

Hope you like it

Thanks
    Krishna

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Krishna -- Amazing how close it was, the dof trails off so quickly inspite of the f/9. The subjects stands out nicely against that clean BKG. Liked those glittering eyes as well.

I feel the blacks are quite strong here , reducing them will bring out more details in the subject. I might also crop the FG to say upto the middle of the rock to get more emphasis on the subject. I feel the D850 can easily handle higher iso range and so you could have gone for f/11 or f/13 and the ss could have been well in your favour.

nicely done.

TFS !

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Krishna...good suggestions by Haseeb, especially on reducing the blacks a bit...I like the pose of the chipmunk

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Krishna,

Very sweet pose from this little guy! Nice framing and subject stands out beautifully against the soft BG.

Blacks indeed a bit strong (try reduce contrast) and a little blue cast creeping in at the top of the chipmunk's head, easy fix in LR or PS.

You were pretty close to the subject, moving further away would have helped increase DoF.

Let us see more from this trip, I certainly enjoyed viewing and looking forward to your next image. Thank you so much for sharing!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this as presented the background is great. Nice and sharp.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you all for the comments.

I reduced the contrast to add a little bit to Blacks.

Below is the repost.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much for RP dear Krishna,

Sorry to get back to you so late - I think this does look a bit better, even the blue cast is lessened. I would have liked to help more with this image but I only saw one Uinta so far and that was here on BPN, not in real life ( I think Rachel posted one image some time ago ) - I must admit I am unsure about the colours:)

Wondering whether you started afresh with the RP or went back to the processed image and reduced contrast? If your workflow includes LR, see if you can go back to the RAW and start from the beginning. I personally do not touch clarity or contrast, they can make an image look crunchy. Try find the correct WB ( 50/50/50 or as close as possible) , lift shadows if needed, look at the blacks, lift them too if necessary. Glance at the histogram and see if there's a need to play with exposure a bit. Choosing the best profile is most important, go to "browse" and then "neutral". Image might look dull and flat but you can bring back all you like in PSCC with curves, etc., all applied selectively of course. And I am guessing now but the image overall is a bit too warm (orange), maybe too much saturation?

I am going on a camping trip next week but will be back before month end Really looking forward to seeing more images from you when I return, if you need any help or feedback please send me a PM and we'll exchange emails, maybe we can play around with some images

Have a lovely Sunday, chat soon,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea