Thread: Black Bear

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Black Bear

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park on 8/6/18 at 9:20AM. Image adjustments in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Small crop.

Canon 5D MarkIV
    Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
    403mm
    ISO 1600
    f6.3
    1/500sec

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, I get the impression the 'metering' has fooled the camera and so the Bear was under exposed causing you to lighten the image, yes???? IQ isn't great for a 'small crop', you need to think 2x the focal length for digital, ie 600mm = 1/1200ss. I still think you need to use AFMA on that body, having shot with four 5D4's they were all within +1 or - of the target number, but they needed addressing and so you have two settings, one for static which is X, and one for moving which is Y, however this is a pain because you need to remember to swop when shooting, or you just have you kit calibrated by Canon. You would need to test the set-up to fine the correct setting as I used Canon lenses. Dropping the Blue in Saturation will not address fringing, or Chromatic aberration, that needs to done in the Lens Calibration module. I also feel there is too much 'green', the bark just looks heavily saturated irrespective of lichen.

I do like the playful pose.

TFS
    Steve

3. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi John, I get the impression the 'metering' has fooled the camera and so the Bear was under exposed causing you to lighten the image, yes????
    Thanks Steve,

I cooked this one in camera. The raw isn't tack sharp. I did lift the shadows all the way. Then did some dodging on the bear. I looked into that AFMA too confusing for me. That's crazy you have four 5D MarkIVs.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's crazy you have four 5D MarkIVs.
    For test only, we took four out last year to see the AF and all were out by the same amount, this is why I suggest you try to calibrate yours to your lens otherwise there will always be an inconsistency with keepers.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John again a lovely pose and the look down to the camera is great .
    I do share Steve´s thoughts on the technical side .
    TFS Andreas

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John - I have to agree with the thoughts above. The most important thing is to get it right in camera. It makes the pp much easier. And while PP has changed and you can now overcome more problems, it's still best to have a sharp, well exposed image to start.

TFS,
    Rachel