Thread: Polar bear on walkabout

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Polar bear on walkabout

Attached Images Attached Images

With the Forum being 'peppered' with some cool bear images I thought a Polar Bear should be part of the postings.

This young guy was patrolling the shoreline, occasionally giving us the slip and occasionally spooking us by being a little closer than we wanted to be. We had spotted him swimming, but by the time we caught up with him he was almost walking onto shore, sadly I had missed the shaking of the coat to dry off.

If you ever think Svalbard is a pristine archipelago, then think again, it's one of the most polluted areas of land on this planet and on every shore landing we spend an hour or so cleaning up and taking all the rubbish back on board ship. Shot from a zodiac.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Polar bear (Ursus Maritimus) walking on the shore
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKI
    Lens: 500mm f/4 MKII HH
    Exposure: 1/2500s at f/5.6 ISO1250
    Original format: Landscape, slight crop from the top, almost FF width
    Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2018
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 09-07-2018 at 12:00 PM.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Steve,

I have seen a number of Polar Bear images on this Forum but I must say this really stands out - love that background! Super pose from the subject with that front paw raised and a "don't mess with me" look that gives me the shivers:)
    Nice composition and the colours are superb, so is detail. A very neat image well processed, would love to see it on canvas

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well this bear does not looked impressed. The wet fur is nice and so are those rocks in the background. Detail looks great.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- What a fantastic image ! loved the details and pose. The rocks in the BKG are a nice addition and makes this a different frame than the most we are used to see. Every to like here and no nits for me .

TFS !

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - I haven't seen many polar bear images with the rocks/boulders as a bg so well done in getting something a little different. The detail and color of the fur is spot on. Nice one.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve a very good PB image in terms of IQ and technical execution , love the fine detail in the fur and the overall colors and tones . Very well processed ...no wonder , just expected .
    The boulders does it make different ....but not for the better IMHO , i do prefer the icy surroundings and more separation from the BG . But for sure i would have loved to see and photograph this chap .
    The PB does not look that big ..a tiny head compared to others i have seen .
    I think you can afford to shave a bit from top and RHS ....just my 2 cents.

TFS Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The boulders does it make different ....but not for the better IMHO, i do prefer the icy surroundings
    I too would prefer icy, pristine white ice pack to photograph PB's on, but WE have changed their habit/environment and so with the diminishing ice pack to hunt on, the PB's have no alternative/option other than to hunt on shore too. Yes, they will come onto shore from time to time, but the ice pack is where their made food source is found and so having boulders and scree as a backdrop is becoming part of the norm, although perhaps in Churchill or Manitoba it's less so?

nd more separation from the BG
    How would you do that Andreas, as the distance between subject and BKG is fixed and I'm already shooting at f/5.6, not sure wide open would have helped?

I think you can afford to shave a bit from top and RHS
    RoT's for me Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve i would have preferred more separation from BG ....having in mind that this is not possible in this case , was a general thinking and you think the same way !!!!
    Just wanted to say i rather prefer to look at other postings from you .....of the PBīs. Just that easy !!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, needless to say techs and IQ are superb. Inquisitive look and paws are also adding to the appeal of the image. I assume you must be at quite some distance for DOF to show as much details. If you had time, do you think f4 might have produced more pleasing BG?

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautifully captured Steve...sorry to hear about the garbage though...it is ocean rubbish that washes ashore such as bottles and such...on Cayman Brac they have a big problem with all the crap that gets discarded into the ocean washing ashore on the south eastern side of the island.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the image. The way you have handled the whites shows - just what a pro you are