Thread: Yoga Practice..2

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Yoga Practice..2

Attached Images Attached Images

I think IQ is not great mainly because low light and high ISO. But IMHO image is still interesting owing to unusal pose and prop. I shot this image in portrait mode and slightly cropped out part connecting the wheel to tractor so that wheel seems to be standing on it's own. This image is from the same sequence as B&W image shared yesterday. Please let me know what you think.

Nikon D500 Tamron 70-200 mm @ 155 mm, 1/1600 s, f5.6, ISO2800

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Jay, the colour version is far better, but it has issues. The leap is nice, but somewhat sadden to see this huge tyre as a platform to land on in the bush.

Firstly you need to remove the very evident blue cast and open the exposure up by just over a third of a stop IMHO. You can the start to see a ref point for your mid grey to work from. Adding some Vib/Sat I feel on this occasion gives that nice, warm light. The BKG looks odd, did you apply some NR, it just looks mottled/blotchy, not clean, also there is a certain amount of grain in the subject, so I wonder if the original was slightly under exposed? There appears to be some cloning, or something weird is happening on the LH trim edge where the tyre meets the trim edge??? Love the light hitting the front legs, curved tail and those 'spring board' back legs, like the crop.

Definitely more SS say around 1/2500 just to freeze that leap, think you would have beet IQ with the new D850.

TFS
    Steve

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jay,

I too think the colour version looks somewhat better but clearly the D500 does not perform too well at high ISO. I gather you had to apply NR quite aggressively and the result is a relatively "soft" image. It's great that you experiment though, no better way to figure out what capabilities your cameras have and how far you can push things.

Steve covered just about every aspect of this frame and his RP is certainly an improvement. In this reply to you he mentioned your new D850 - I am certain you'll enjoy this new body and so looking forward to more images from you, many thanks for sharing

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The color version is much better here. Agree with the points already made. The composition works well here.

5. Thanks Jay Shah thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many thanks for taking the time to provide detailed feedback.

huge tyre as a platform to land on in the bush.
    I will try crop to reduce tyre size. But Steve, tyre makes this image special as it is unusal !

Firstly you need to remove the very evident blue cast
    Steve I used 50% grey and white and black points method. I too could see the cast. But could not remove it! So 50% grey method also does not always work. ACR reports colors in absolute values. So difficult to find neutral point. What did you do to remove the cast?

open the exposure up by just over a third of a stop IMHO.
    Agreed. Lifts the image.

You can the start to see a ref point for your mid grey to work from.
    Are you saying that by raising exposure, finding grey point is likely to be more accurate?

Adding some Vib/Sat I feel on this occasion gives that nice, warm light.
    I never play with that. But agree it lifts the image.

The BKG looks odd, did you apply some NR, it just looks mottled/blotchy, not clean,
    Yes I used surface blur for NR.

also there is a certain amount of grain in the subject, so I wonder if the original was slightly under exposed?
    There was noise. I did not do any NR on the subject. Just relied on NR due to size reduction. May have to apply some NR.

There appears to be some cloning, or something weird is happening on the LH trim edge where the tyre meets the trim edge???
    I thought you would not notice! Was tired so did a poor job of cloning that piece of tractor.

Love the light hitting the front legs, curved tail and those 'spring board' back legs, like the crop.

Definitely more SS say around 1/2500 just to freeze that leap, think you would have beet IQ with the new D850.
    Not thrilled with D500 Tamron 70-200 mm combo. D850 definitely does better. Hence will soon upgrade.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, thanks for your comments.

I think low light and D500 + Tamron combo is not great. I have one D850. D500/D810 act as second body. But will now buy one more D850. I was misguided by reviews of Tamron. I think will have to get Nikon.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay - I'm generally not a fan of images with hand of man elements and try to avoid them but yes, the leap to the tire makes this a bit unusual. Cheetahs will use anything to gain a viewpoint. Since cloning is within your ethics, in addition to the adjustments suggested by Steve, I would clone the drops of spray out. Remember that often the key to pp is that less is more. Get it right in camera and then it's easier to bring out the detail, tones and depth without the need for using a lot of different tools.

TFS,
    Rachel

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Shah View Post
    Hi Gabriela, thanks for your comments.

I think low light and D500 + Tamron combo is not great. I have one D850. D500/D810 act as second body. But will now buy one more D850. I was misguided by reviews of Tamron. I think will have to get Nikon.
    Thank you Jay:)

I agree with you.

The D850 is an awesome camera. I too have a D810 but hardly use it because I often end up shooting in low light conditions. These days one can find a second hand D4 or D4S (on occasion a D5) at a reasonable price, perhaps worth looking into it
    Tamron versus Nikon lenses...errr...definitely Nikon The 200-400 F4 is pretty cool.

Keep having fun and experimenting! Would love to see more from you.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

10. Thanks Jay Shah thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay ...always good to see Chetah .
    To be honest with you , this does not work for me at all on all counts . Besides the leap downwards ...beautifully captured !!!
    The rest is not very attractive , besides the technical issues and the editable color as per Steve´s RP.

Sorry hope you do not mind ...my honesty .

TFS Andreas

12. Thanks Jay Shah, Marc Mol thanked for this post