Thread: Whale Tail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Whale Tail

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all, thanks for your suggestions on my previous post. Here is another more classic tail image I captured at Post Stephens, Sydney, Australia
    Its a bit of a crop and light was low due to constant drizzle. It was cold and windy and all other folks had gone indoors except me and a friend. We waited despite getting wet hoping for the tail shot and a breach shot. Couldn't get the breach image but I had to settle for the tail. Since it was 100-400 II with extender could not open up the aperture. Should have tried 6400 ISO. It still came out reasonably sharp.
    5D IV
    100-400 II+1.4 III
    1/800
    f/7.1
    ISO 3200

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Sanjeev, this is more of the 'classic' we tend to see.

I feel with the limited kit the subject is a bit lost in the overall environment, so perhaps cropping if IQ holds, would help, but also to loose the turquoise band at the top too? Colour is quite close I think, conveying a very cold & murky day, but you could play if you so wish, however I do feel getting some more tone/contrast back into the see helps, ultimately more separation I think, likewise a little more selective sharpening.

Crop isn't working on the RP but it's more about getting more from the sea and a tad more detail in the subject. Hope you had fun, always hard to predict where they surface, well that's what I found in Svalbard.

TFS
    Steve

3. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    BPN Limited Member
    Thank You Posts

The raindrop on the whales tail looks gorgeous. I hope you haven't caught cold. best wishes.

5. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev - Yup, that's the classic fluke image. I would crop some from the rhs to move it off center a bit more and it also looks like the whale was diving to the left slightly. I like what Steve has done to the water but also like the colder gray of the fluke in your op so might combine the two. I also prefer the amount of sharpening on the water flowing off the fluke in your op but Steve's sharpening of the actual fluke. Keep them coming.

TFS,
    Rachel

7. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev -- This is a nice image, and you have done well to time it correctly. I too would prefer something between your OP and Steve's RP , especially the crop and sharpening. I liked the colour in your OP as it is giving the actual scene.

nice one , TFS !

9. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It is a beautiful image. I prefer the original post. Especially the colour of the water in the OP

11. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Sanjeev,

I like this more than the previous, the positioning of the tail within the frame makes the image for me. Steve's crop works very well, the subject (or rather its tail) seemed a bit "lost" in the OP.

Cannot help but think this kind of shot is so suited for a B&W conversion, you could bring out even more the beautiful elegant shape of the tail, water trailing off and those droplets

Many thanks for sharing Sanjeev, have a great rest of the week,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks good with the water running down the tail. Looks quite sharp and the ISO is pretty clean.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev well it is special to see the Humpback`s along the coast of Australia .
    Not nice that you had , the not ideal conditions to go out . I do like the classy pose of the fluke with the trails of water running down ... the comp is not ideal in the OP and Steve has taken this up a notch with his RP.
    Wondering about the IQ of the OP ...not to your usual standards ????
    Blotchy and quite noisy with no fine detail ....i think this is a already large crop as posted .
    TFS Andreas