Thread: The Knersvlakte

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default The Knersvlakte

Attached Images Attached Images

The 'Knersvlakte' ('Crunching plains') in Namaqualand, South Africa as shot a couple of days ago. The name was derived from the sound of crunching quartz rocks & stones under wagon wheels yonks ago as white settlers traveled north through the country.

Nikon D600 + Tamron 24-70mm @ 35mm
    f/8 | 1/160s | 100 ISO | HH
    180 degrees composite from 5 shots, merged in LR.
    A CPL filter caused the darker blue sky on the left. It never occured to me that this would logically be the result as I swiveled through different degrees relative to the sun's position. I decided not to tamper with it in PP.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Tobie
    Nice to see that part of the world so green, must have had some rain recently? I doubt whether the true gritty meaning of Knersvlakte came through in the English translation? Really like the pano composition but the sky could benefit from a bit more darkening to lift this image more.
    Mooiloop
    Gerhard

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Toby

Very nice scene and nicely captured Pano.. Possibly might have not included the bush Lower RH corner that is masking the road, probably because of the dark shadow below it. I also think the image is stronger with a little more contrast (especially the sky..), I dragged it into PS and put a s curve layer with a graduated mask and liked the result..

Regards

DON

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Tobie...such a great view from that vantage point...I do agree with Don that a little more contrast would help, especially over the middle ground of the scene...I am wondering if you photographed from a lower perspective could you have eliminated the road from being visible within the comp? As for the darkened sky in the upper left corner you can try reducing the blacks on both Cyan and Blue in Selective Color. When the sky is visible in a panoramic image it is always best practice to not use a polarizing filter, but you know that now :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice pano. You have quite the view from right here. Very cool scene.