Thread: Nthombi on Morning Patrol

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Nthombi on Morning Patrol

Attached Images Attached Images

This is one of my favorite leopardesses, Nthombi, and I have had the privilege to photograph her on at least 4 trips to the Timbavati Game Reserve over the span of 6 years. She is an excellent mother and has successfully raised several of the leopards now in the area. So she is doing her part to help overcome the leopard's "Vulnerable" status on the IUCN Red List. Unfortunately, the leopards' overall population is decreasing and that trend is expected to continue. The principal reasons given are loss of habitat and prey as well as exploitation. http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/15954/0 This was taken early morning as the first rays of sun hit the ground.

Canon 7D2
    300 II
    1/1600
    f5.6
    ISO 1600
    HH from safari vehicle, slight crop to straighten her lean, levels, curves, color adjustments, sharpened in PSCC.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the look on the leopard and you caught a nice pose. A little tight in the frame. The light looks quite nice.

3. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, again a nice encounter, but as John highlighted, it's just too tight in frame, you needed more FG, or the subject smaller in frame. Now this may be as a result of straightening, however if you are using PSCC 2018, straightening and loosing content is a thing of the past. i like the outstretched front paw and chance to the 'right' as viewed, but as posted I think you were on the limits of the 7D, the face in particular hasn't the fine detail. It's there, but to me a fraction coarse. good to see you getting a higher SS.

TFS
    Steve

5. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel -- I love leopards and your leopard images are just very nice. I like this specimen and the details you managed to extract. But I am more in agreement with what Steve has to say, details are slightly coarse not as per your usual standard and the lack of space in the FG is a bit problamatic IMO. Would love to see more Nthombi.

TFS !

7. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, a nice shot with good light and wonderful subject! Agree the comp is a bit awkward.

9. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a beautiful animal. I really like the light catching her eyes and the low angle

11. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Rachel,

"Nthombi", or "Nthombazana" is also the Zulu word for "girl", what an appropriate name for this pretty lady

Judging by the dark nose she is perhaps of an advanced age but in very good condition. Love the walking pose and those tall grasses frame her nicely. I find the composition a bit tight though - she must have been pretty close.

Lighting conditions did not make it easy for you but overall this is well exposed (with the exception of a few patches that appear a tad bright). I do like the way the sun touches her eyes and muzzle though.

Very nice POV and I quite like that she looks away, you gave her lots of space to gaze into. A special image Rachel and the subject so close to your heart, thank you so much for sharing!

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

13. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. Steve - Not sure what you mean about not losing content when straightening. I have the latest update/version of PSCC but don't know of a new way to rotate.

Thanks again,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rachel, love this image. I like light, look, her being diagonal to the frame, complementary colors in the BG and foreground and patches of green..

Steve did you mean rotating with content aware fill? If so, it is hit and miss depending on the BGs in my experience.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jay