Thread: Walkabout...

Hybrid View

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Walkabout...

Attached Images Attached Images

Occasionally you have a cool encounter and for me, nothing beats being close to your subjects and great when they accept you on THEIR terms, but when you can walk with them too, it just amplifies the experience IMHO. This is what happened one morning (7.31am) when, after tacking a pair of Cheetah brothers for just over 45 minutes, through the bush, then being offered the opportunity to get out and walk with them was something I wasn’t going to say no too.

This was taken about 20m from the jeep, kneeling to get the eye level, but high enough to avoid the grasses. Shot much tighter in because I just wanted a head shot, but wasn’t expecting the hint of tongue, you can also see some ticks in the fur, definitely something to avoid, as Cheetahs do carry some rather nasty items in their fur. There is also what appears to be a nodule on the nose. The BKG is all natural, no tricks within PS and yes, I can shoot at low ISO .

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Male Cheetah (Acinonyx jubatus) walking
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 500f/4 MKII, plus 1.4 MKIII HH
    Exposure: 1/2000s at f/5.6 ISO400
    Original format: Landscape, FF height
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2018

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - this is very nice with the profile view and the complementary colors of the bg. The comp works well and yes, the bit of tongue visible makes this much more interesting.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, this is gorgeous! It's my kinda image, great detailed close up, superb BG, the light and gaze make it even better. That tongue is icing on top! TFS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ...does look very nice this portrait and the tongue is a sweet addition .
    Colors looking great and the tonal range is good as ever ...
    50/50 on the crop ,if the look of the cheetah needs a bit more space to look into ???
    The eye doe look a bit too bright for my taste ....and why only 5,6 , as posted you have a slight fall off in sharpness in the hairs facing the BG , this is for sure very picky ...Steve .

Lovely details and super sharp !! Well done

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Rachel & Sanjeev.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

50/50 on the crop
    Certainly there is more in front if I wanted.

The eye doe look a bit too bright for my taste
    As shot.

why only 5,6 , as posted you have a slight fall off in sharpness in the hairs facing the BG , this is for sure very picky ...Steve
    Very minor as you say, 6.3 perhaps, but certainly nothing more.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Re Eye ....then you had the perfect angle of light to create such illumination !!!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty neat you were able to get this low perspective while on foot. I'm with Andreas about the crop. Details look great. Killer background.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve this is fantastic ! I loved the details here, no prob with DOF IMO. Lovely colours and the framing is fine, a bit more space in front will be even better but not a deal breaker in any sense. A fine Cheetah image for sure. Brilliantly done.

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Well for all of you folk who wanted a bit more in front, here you go.

Cropped to 16 x 10 almost FF on width, bar a few pixels. Personally I just wanted a real, in your face, with the Cheetah pushing that LHS.

cheers
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow - what fantastic detail. IMO the original crop is the better option. Obviously we normally need to leave space for subjects to move into however in this specific example i feel the viewer is not going to be looking for where the subject is walking/moving etc but rather is going to be wowed by the beauty and detail of the portrait. I certainly was when first viewing the original post

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This works for me .

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Steve,

I take great pleasure viewing a frame taken in such gorgeous light, superb detail and colours and I just love the warmth here. Very nice POV:)

In terms of composition, without any doubt I prefer the OP ( I like the cheetah close and filling the frame, the inclusion of her neck and shoulders balance the frame nicely).

Perfect techs. Wonderful BG and colours are stunning, the pink tongue a nice touch:)

Beautifully processed. Is this one of the brothers we saw when I was visiting?

Thank you so much for sharing,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheers Haseeb.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Obviously we normally need to leave space for subjects to move into however in this specific example i feel the viewer is not going to be looking for where the subject is walking/moving etc but rather is going to be wowed by the beauty and detail of the portrait. I certainly was when first viewing the original post
    Thank you Basil, but so much is personal and more so when you take the image, as perhaps your 'vision' when posted, can be clouded, but nice to know images do convey the same as the author occasionally.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, good example of an image when perfect light, subject, BG and skills and creativity of the photographer come together. I do want to see an image from you with some color cas though so that we can make some helpful suggestions! TFS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, thank you for the kind words too.

Is this one of the brothers we saw when I was visiting?
    No, as they were both collared, this was from the first stage of the trip, both boys in fine condition, but will post further images of them depicting a more 'wider' aspect. Just so cool to be able to walk with them, thankful they rested up on the high dune to survey their territory.

18. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Late to the party here. I love this for the killer BKGR and the wonderful light. I like the framing in the original post far better than in the repost. I always shoot my 5.6 stuff at f/6.3 just because. But I would not want any significant d-o-f with this image because that would bring up the background. All in all, excellente!

with love, artie

ps: the animal is pretty cool also.

pps: Where was this photographed? I am assuming that you are allowed out of the vehicles where you were. Is that usually the case in SA?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

ps: the animal is pretty cool also.
    Thanks Artie

pps: Where was this photographed? I am assuming that you are allowed out of the vehicles where you were. Is that usually the case in SA?
    No it's not the 'norm' , this is the only time I have done it in 11 safari's both in Botswana & SA, but there was also only two of us, but in certain instances you can. We took the decision based on that the two brothers had fed very well the previous afternoon, taking down an adult Hatebeast (large Antelope) and that their bellies were so full, 'food' was not on the agenda, but we certainly kept a very healthy distance. We spend about a quarter of an hour with them, after which they climb the dune and then just lay down and surveyed the land in tall grass.

Tswalu - in SA, owned by the Oppenheimers - (had to raid the piggy bank for the time spent there)

21. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post