Canon 1dx2
    200-400 F4
    1/1000sec
    F/7.1
    ISO - 1600

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice that almost all the lions are looking directly at you. Looks pretty desolate at this location. The light looks nice.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Basil, trust you are loving the 1DX MKII, it really is an awesome camera!

Nice frame, but I would come in from the RHS. Like the soft light and lucky you had the pride almost cooperating for you, any frames with the LH lion looking to camera with the rest of the pride? Definitely remove the black mark in the BKG, it just spoils the image. May be a tad more of selective Contrast or a midtone channel layer to add a bit of 'bite' to the subjects. Hard to tell on distance and if this is a crop, but 6.3 may have give a hint more DoF?

TFS and don't forget to add your thoughts on other members postings, thanks.

Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just love the soft light and the attention you've garned from all but one cooperative, agree on cropping a litte off the right, making it less central.
    I'm wondering Basil, if these 3/4 yr old males were with the 2 lionesses?, as they will eventually make for a strong coalition.

TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Basil ...a lovely and classic frame of Etosha and its vast landscape , love eit .
    Overall the image does work well for me , taken up a notch with that sweet soft light .
    Comp does work well ....with the lions lined up in front and the wide landscape in the back. Depending on your ethics ... i am with Steve of removing the dark spots in the BG .

Nice one ... TFS Andreas

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Basil - This is very nice. There's always one lion that has to go off script and not cooperate. Agree with the crop suggestions. Yes, the light looks nice and soft but the reddish tones look a bit strong for my recollection of Etosha where the pan was more often stark white.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rachel from my recall ...the pan can look that way ...depending on the time of shooting . For sure a very subjective thing ....the colors .

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Basil -- A really lovely scene , apart from the one non-cooperative lion the image has a lovely feel, nice colours and beautiful light . really enjoyed viewing this one.

TFS !