Thread: Strobe photography-does it work?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Strobe photography-does it work?

Attached Images Attached Images

This image of a Blue-throaded hummingbird was captured near Portal Az. (just north of the mexican border)

Canon 5D, EF 300mm f4L IS lens
    tripod and electrictronic release
    prefocused
    three 285HV Vivitar flashes set to 1/16 power (two set @45 degrees, third set low and on axis)
    1/180 sec @ F16
    focal length 300mm
    ISO 200
    lathe afternoon, in shade

What do you think of this kind photography(strobe photography)? Its the only way I know how to stop the wings
    in sharp focus

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Randy, A lot of people love to use multiple flash setups for hummingbirds, I myself prefer natural light with a slight wing blur to show motion.
    Your image here works well, nice HA and catchlight, but I would change the crop so it's not so centered. More room in front to show direction and maybe a bit more room on top.

-Tim

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Foltz View Post
    Randy, A lot of people love to use multiple flash setups for hummingbirds, I myself prefer natural light with a slight wing blur to show motion.
    Your image here works well, nice HA and catchlight, but I would change the crop so it's not so centered. More room in front to show direction and maybe a bit more room on top.

-Tim
    Thanks Tim for the review. According to the metadata the file was not cropped (3159 x 2378). I get very close to the bird while shooting maybe less than 10 ft. to fill the frame
    which leaves little room for adjusting the image. Should I move back (I used a 300 prime) for a larger canvas or add canvas in ps? How can the rule of thirds be in play if the image fills
    the frame out of the camera? Thanks again, this is the kind of help I need.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Dunn View Post
    Thanks Tim for the review. According to the metadata the file was not cropped (3159 x 2378). I get very close to the bird while shooting maybe less than 10 ft. to fill the frame
    which leaves little room for adjusting the image. Should I move back (I used a 300 prime) for a larger canvas or add canvas in ps? How can the rule of thirds be in play if the image fills
    the frame out of the camera? Thanks again, this is the kind of help I need.
    Randy in this case with the dark BG you could easily add canvas in PS to suit your taste for the crop you desire, you would be able to do that with any simple BG.

-Tim

Threads
    Thank You Posts

All good stuff above. I would pull the curve up on the bird. If you need help with that LMK.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.