Thread: Over-under Bullfrog-scape

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Over-under Bullfrog-scape

Name:  Bullfrog_2154.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  162.5 KB

A new spin on my frog-scapes...an over-under Bullfrog-scape from a wetland on Horseshoe Lake near Parry Sound, Ontario. I will be away next week at the lake creating many more of this style of image. To capture the over-under perspective I am using a Laowa 15mm 1:1 Wide Angle Macro Lens on a handheld Nikon D500 inside an Ewa Marine housing.

Nikon D500
    Laowa 15mm 1:1 Macro Lens
    ISO 800
    F16 at 1/60 sec
    Ewa Marine U-B100 housing

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

AHHA, great to have you back Andrew, cracking opening image and you have certainly been taking advantage of that new housing to full effect. I've always loved this type of imagery and more so with a Canadian film make who applied this with the Black bears.

Personally a bit tight on the framing for me, a bit more breathing space for the Bull frog would have been nice, retaining the foot too and then in the final framing at PP stage going the ROT's route for the divide. However not sure how difficult having more space all round may have been? Perhaps going darker at the foot of the image may help and also tone down the 'purple' leaf?

Looking forward to more Andrew as I've seen a lot and I think you may well wet some folks appetite in this type of photography.

TFS
    Steve

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andrew - Great that you finally got your credentials sorted and can post again. I love this split view but do want a bit more room above for the frog to look into. I'm not sure the partial back leg hanging down really adds here and can see an alternate with more of a pano crop just under the leaf/body. Looking forward to seeing more.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

First time critiquing in a while tonight, Andrew. Nice perspective here, really nice colours, clarity and a feeling of "being in the water".
    I agree with Steve's finer points.
    I'd remove some of the purple in the rocks behind him and some of the blue on the frog's nose/eye?
    Keen to see what you come back with!
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very cool. Now this is something you don't see everyday. Nice one. Look forward to seeing more.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another fine over & under water scape here Andrew, agree with some more room all round and the minor colour issues, very pleasing image nonetheless.

TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andrew -- Great to see you posting again. What a fantastic perspective. Loved the result .

Agree with the above reg the space all around and those minor colour issues. Importantly would love to see more of your work in order to learn this kind of photography.

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andrew, my appetite for such images have been wetted recently, so I also bought housing for the camera, but have not had chance to get my pants wet yet. Loved the image.

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks so much for comments and suggestions folks...much appreciated.