Thread: Cheetah posing

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Cheetah posing

Attached Images Attached Images

We spotted this female just as we came out for the evening safari. Our guide decided the subject was worth spending entire evening. So took images in different lights, different camera bodies and lenses! Decide to share this one as I liked the pose and complementary BG.

BTW, I feel her body is reddish compared to other female cheetah I saw so wondering if there is a reddish color cast. I tried a few different things to fix it. But did not like the results. She is pregnant. Wonder the skin color changes at that time. Please adivse.

Nikon D850 600 mm
    1/1000, f4, ISO 3600.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

BTW, I feel her body is reddish compared to other female cheetah I saw so wondering if there is a reddish color cast. I tried a few different things to fix it. But did not like the results. She is pregnant. Wonder the skin color changes at that time. Please adivse.
    Hi Jay, although away, yes you are correct, going back to the WB will help, based on the sRGB JPEG file WB+10, Tint-22 will give you the RGB mid grey as you starting point, in addition there is also a Blue cats that also needs to be addressed. Check also your Blacks as in the dark shadow areas some parts are clipped. Once this is corrected you can then address any other colours to suit.

Classic find, being on a mound, the FG lighter grass is a bit distracting, perhaps going a little higher may have helped? Being face on to the sensor and at F/4 looks good and great you have posted bigger. Like the pale backdrop, but I'm not sure if things are running a bit 'thin' hard to tell on the laptop, Andreas may have some thoughts?

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice. Good pose on the cheetah and i like the mound it is resting on. Great background. Nice and sharp.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, thanks again for comments and suggestions. I am glad based on what I learnt from you previously, I could see the cast. Challenge for this photograph was that I was not sure what the right WB should look like. For such cases, I use method to find 50% grey point by using 50% grey layer, difference blending mode, threshold adjustment layer. But in this case it was not easy to set a clear 50% grey point. Now I have improvised on this method and select more than one 50% grey points and try each of them to see what gives best result. https://youtu.be/V-8QCixirM8. Using this I could get result close to you. Thanks again for taking time to educate.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay -- Loved the pose and the eye contact , on the mound is always special . addressing the WB will get you the correct colours more or less apart from that there is the blueish/cyan cast especially in the whites. Nice clean BKG , helps the subject stand out. the FG grass is not ideal IMO. I also feel the face is a bit crunchy.

Something looks odd behind the area where the tail starts , did you clone out something from there ?

A nice image. TFS !

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay - I like the pose on the mound, the eye contact and the way the tail is visible. Steve has covered the color issues above. If you cannot find a mid-grey point when adjusting the WB, you can use any point where the RGB values should all be equal so white or black will also work (except for bright whites at the upper end of the histogram).

TFS,
    Rachel

7. Thanks Jay Shah thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Rachel. The trick you mentioned I tried and it works.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, Thanks for your comments. I did not do any cloning on the image. I hope you are not referring to blades of grass in the FG intersecting the tail.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jay, i was referring the are behind the tail where it starts from the body .

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay, but the example is from using a Tiff/JPEG as it's within PS, not at the Raw stage, so I'm unsure how you do it, unless you export to PS, find it, then go back?????

From memory I found a good spot in the soil, then just honed it and got an almost 50 across all three channels, that gave me the starting point. Once you have that you can take it further in whatever direction you want. OK I no longer use the eye dropper, I tend you use a different route/method within LR or the raw converter at the time now, but IMHO just for accuracy and a good starting point, a mid grey is good.

Jay, removed the RP as I saw Haseeb's reference to behind the tail, I think it's just grass...