Thread: Hippo displaying

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hippo displaying

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken towards the back of the day around 4.30pm, down at the dam where a pod of hippos frequented. Light was crazy, one moment it was unbelievably rich and fully saturated, then just flat and grey, so ISO was all over the place from 1600 - 6400, so both SS & DoF was a bit more reserved, however things worked out OK to a degree... this was at ISO6400

Shot flat on the ground, HH, trying to avoid being eaten by the painful flies and conscious of the ticks Gabriela warned me about, plus my good friend Peter stood behind me looking out for any 'bubbles' as we were both close to the edge as there was a notorious large Croc that frequented here.

Many of the Hippo's stayed well hidden, but the male was just asserting his stuff and continually launched himself either out of the water jaws gapping, or just a huge yawn like here. Going for the fixed lens gave me the distance/reach but not the flexibility of the 200-400, so a compromise, but not knowing which format, landscape or portrait was hard so I just plumped for one, landscape. Centre FP for accuracy, rear BB focus, not a ridiculous frame rate, but sufficient to nail the action, but using the 'Case' set up will enhance obtaining the capture, but each to their own in set-up to a degree.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Hippo (Hippopotamus amphibius) yawning/displaying
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 500f/4 MKII, plus 1.4 MKIII HH
    Exposure: 1/1600s at f/8 ISO6400
    Original format: Landscape, FF height
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2018

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, crazy sharpness and details. Hard to believe this was shot at ISO 6400.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hard to believe this was shot at ISO 6400.
    Cheers Jay, but not a challenge for the 1DX MKII, it just takes it in it's stride.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic shot Steve, awesome low angle, super display that would make a dentist 'drool' :-) Love the details here and the PP work. Great to see that high ISO doing its job so well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

super display that would make a dentist 'drool'
    it's already on the ceiling there Sanjeev, hopefully it will pay for the routine inspection coming up. You will have the same if not better with the 5D4.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great shot Steve, I understand the quandry over the lens, I guess there simply wan't time to switch to portrait orientation? You have a great technique for bringing out detail in differing tones, the palette and tongue are terrific.
    Regarding ISO I have not found the 5DIV to be particularly good at higher ISO settings in fact I am not impressed, a bit better than the 5DIII maybe a stop or so. I currently think the 1DX is considerably better - maybe I should re-evaluate.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheers Jon.

Regarding ISO I have not found the 5DIV to be particularly good at higher ISO settings in fact I am not impressed, a bit better than the 5DIII maybe a stop or so. I currently think the 1DX is considerably better - maybe I should re-evaluate.
    Interesting as that was one point that was flagged prior to my trip and the thought was ISO3200 was about the ceiling, how far are you pushing things? Not an issue if you live in a sunny climate, but here... I'm wondering if ACR is running the same path as LR, pop a file over happy to look.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very cool. This is quite the unique hippo frame. Great background and detail. The crop held up nicely.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That is Steve Kaluski at his very best . Loved the low POV and the amt of details in the subject . Excellent tones as well. I think you have done exceedingly well in the field by getting that low angle, makes all the difference. I just loved it.

TFS !

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - This is great. The low pov combined with the almost straight-on view down the throat are what take this to another level. If the hippo had been slightly angled instead of straight on, the image would not have the same impact. Your patience paid off. Excellent details as usual.

TFS,
    Rachel

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

One of the best pics I have ever seen of a hippo yawning mate!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Haseeb for the very kind words, much appreciated.

Thanks folks glad you like it, but I'll be honest I was right on the edge of the DoF and although I have no hesitation in pushing the ISO, here I just had to run with what I had, no time to think.

One of the best pics I have ever seen of a hippo yawning mate!
    Andrew, thank you so much, it's great to have you back, very much missed and I know you have some stunning images just waiting to be posted over the coming months and I'm sure they will inspire folk too and to hopefully think differently both in composition, but also using alternative kit too to achieve the capture.