Thread: Yellow Warbler

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Yellow Warbler

Attached Images Attached Images

It was a pretty good spring for warbler photography here in Missouri. We had a lengthy, quite cold spring such that as warblers started arriving there was still a lot of open canopy
    and vegetation that had not started to green up yet. This warbler was probably pretty close to the minimum focal distance for my lens/TC combo. The rest of the body was out of
    focus and I almost deleted the image out of hand, but noticed the head feather detail was probably better than any other image I have of this species. I'm not sure how much better
    I could do with trying to hunt one down with a 200mm macro. The bird was on a nearly vertical vine. I guess I could rotate the image 45 degrees or so an make it appear as a branch.

D500/500mmF4VRII/TC-14EIII

1/1250s, F8, iso320

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The detail is amazing, Jack! About as good as it gets. But the bird is really cramped in the frame, he needs some breathing room which necessarily means giving back at least a bit of the detail when you loosen the crop. There is also some fairly serious posterization in the background. The whole image is really cold/steely, particularly the perch. Curious what it might look like warmed up a bit.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like what you were going for here. Don't usually see head portraits of warbler's or any small birds. The crop is very tight.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I had to go back and look at the raw file. The tip of the was touching the top of the frame and the tip tail was almost touching the bottom of the frame.
    You know how it is trying to track small, active birds at close range. There wasn't any opportunity to rotate the camera to the vertical position. I used another
    image in the series to get the shape of the branch and background above the bill. I guess it wouldn't be that hard make up some more. The white balance
    could be warmed up some. Going from 4550(as shot) to 5500 doesn't seem to change the yellow of the bird that much.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jack,
    I like the eye and head detail - a close up we rarely get to see for a warbler. Might want to clean up some of the noise on the perch.
    Allen

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Please post a JPEG that shows the original image full frame.

thanks with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jpeg of out of camera raw file.Name:  28155ab.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  399.7 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks. Not a bad job of adding canvas and rebuilding the bill tip. And a good job of focusing on the eye. This image is the poster child with regards to the need for lots of d-o-f with small birds at point blank range. With the filtered light, I would likely have hit the delete key on this one ...

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.