Thread: Wood Stork

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Wood Stork

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image at Lake Mirror in Lakeland, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED image captured at 290mm
    1/1000 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV -1/3 ISO 125 Auto WB, camera supported by a monopod
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop CC 2018
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image. Overcast day? Intriguingly ugly bird. It would have been nice if there a little less plumage covering the lower part of the bill.

3. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Exposure control on the whites is excellent - so much detail! I don't mind the fluffy feathers around the bill, they add some nice texture. Looks like the sun was perfectly filtered.

5. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Detail is great on this one. The composition works well here. The soft light really looks nice on the bird.

7. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joseph,
    A fine portrait of this "beauty". Details and exposure look great. Well done.
    Allen

9. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am always reluctant to comment on images that look too dark as I suspect that my "calibrated" monitor is a bit too dark ...

So I opened this one in Photoshop and found the brightest WHITEs as post coming in something like this: R=225, G = 221, B= 215. So yes, too dark overall. I brought the image into Photoshop and did a Curves adjustment as seen in the screen capture ...

LMK if you have any questions.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    I am always reluctant to comment on images that look too dark as I suspect that my "calibrated" monitor is a bit too dark ...

So I opened this one in Photoshop and found the brightest WHITEs as post coming in something like this: R=225, G = 221, B= 215. So yes, too dark overall. I brought the image into Photoshop and did a Curves adjustment as seen in the screen capture ...

LMK if you have any questions.

with love, artie
    Okiedoke... I can do that, will work on it tomorrow morning and repost. Thanks Artie...
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

12. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Its a lovely image Joe, the tilt of the head is endearing, and all those gorgeous feather puffed so beautifully... I'm going to try to understand Arties curve edits as I am trying to learn this... wonderful portrait.

14. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Artie, as promised here is a repost editing the image with a duplicated of your curve. As I check the whites the brightest feathers now are 94% in Lightroom or 240 on the black-white scale. I also can see an improvement from lifting the mid-tones and darks. Thanks again for helping.
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Joe, The repost is much, much better. It is best to get most of the exposure stuff done during the RAW conversion. To do that with all of my Canon and Nikon images I start with the WHITEs if the image is properly exposed. If the image is under even a bit, I increase the Exposure first and then go to the WHITEs. All of the above and the Curves stuff and tons and tons more is detailed in Digital Basics II.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

17. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by annmpacheco View Post
    Its a lovely image Joe, the tilt of the head is endearing, and all those gorgeous feather puffed so beautifully... I'm going to try to understand Arties curve edits as I am trying to learn this... wonderful portrait.

Hi AMP,

#1: it would be much better to handle the WHITEs and the BLACKs during the RAW conversion, be they .CR.2s or .NEFs. See my comments in Pane #10.

#2: Here is what I did with the Curves adjustment. I pinned the middle of the Curves with the three dots close together. Then I raised the WHITEs by pulling the curve up -- in the upper right. Then I opened up the darker middle tones by pulling the curve up -- lower left.

This stuff too is covered in detail in DB II, The BIRDS AS ART Current Workflow e-Guide. It includes dozens and dozens of Photoshop tips and covers the basics of RAW conversions in both ACR and DPP :)

with love, artie

19. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Joe, The repost is much, much better. It is best to get most of the exposure stuff done during the RAW conversion. To do that with all of my Canon and Nikon images I start with the WHITEs if the image is properly exposed. If the image is under even a bit, I increase the Exposure first and then go to the WHITEs. All of the above and the Curves stuff and tons and tons more is detailed in Digital Basics II.

with love, artie
    Hi Artie, I have your DBII and refer to it often. My workflow is very much as you describe doing the exposure and tone mapping on the NEF. Then convert to a 16 bit TIFF in Photoshop for noise reduction using Neat Image. Normally when I open the TIFF in Lightroom I only have to do the sharpening. Thanks again for your help, without your books, guides, and videos I would not have progressed to where I am in bird photography now.
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Joe,

Many thanks for your kind words. That has been the plan all along :)

with love, artie

22. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi AMP,

#1: it would be much better to handle the WHITEs and the BLACKs during the RAW conversion, be they .CR.2s or .NEFs. See my comments in Pane #10.

#2: Here is what I did with the Curves adjustment. I pinned the middle of the Curves with the three dots close together. Then I raised the WHITEs by pulling the curve up -- in the upper right. Then I opened up the darker middle tones by pulling the curve up -- lower left.

This stuff too is covered in detail in DB II, The BIRDS AS ART Current Workflow e-Guide. It includes dozens and dozens of Photoshop tips and covers the basics of RAW conversions in both ACR and DPP :)

with love, artie
    Thank you Artie for explaining some for me to get back to reading/studying my copy of your DB II... Appreciate it. It is really such a treat to have you here on BPN both posting and commenting. The interaction and learning is so welcomed by all of us.

24. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Classic Wood Stork portrait here. Repost is an improvement but to me it still is a bit dull and the white balance is off. I would put the whole photo on a new layer, then in curves I would take the white point dropper and put it over the brightest white spots on the bird until you got it about right. Then if necessary lower the opacity of the shot a touch. It will whiten up the whites a bit more and will make the blues more pleasing as well. Subtle differences but it will finish off this shot nicely.

26. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for viewing and commenting, very much appreciated.
    Joe Przybyla