Thread: Blue tit (juv)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Blue tit (juv)

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 5D IV, Canon 500mm F4L IS II ISO 3200, 1/800 sec f8
    ACR & PSCC

Taken from my back garden hide (I was just checking fairly low light performance on this camera). All comments are welcome.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, I wouldn't say ISO3200 is low light .

I would shave perhaps 1-2 inches of the top.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agreed low/high is subjective but I did say fairly low i.e. not low low.
    I did consider shaving the top a bit but I preferred the head room.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image of this little guy. I also think the crop could be modified to loose some off the top. He's also too centered, so losing some on off
    the left hand edge would help with that as well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the framing here. What is the fruit on the perch? ISO 3200 is a cake walk for the MarkIV. Image quality has held up great.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Mack View Post
    I like the framing here. What is the fruit on the perch? ISO 3200 is a cake walk for the MarkIV. Image quality has held up great.
    John the fruit is sloe, they grow on the blackthorn - a very common bush typically growing in hedgerows. The sloes are often picked after first frosts and used to make sloe gin.
    Yes fairly happy with noise but it is not so noise free as 1DX but you get more pixels - gives extra flexibility - swings roundabouts, I have barely used 1DX since I bought the 5D IV.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

swings roundabouts, I have barely used 1DX since I bought the 5D IV.
    Very true Jon, 5D4 ideal for portraits, but action - the 1DX will wipe the floor as you can choose the frame rate, rather than having a 'fixed' choice.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice shot particularly given the conditions. I would definitely tighten the crop to remove the oof foliage bottom right.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon,
    a pleasing image - I need to shoot more in the rain - adds a good bit of interest. The crop is alright to me though taking some off the left would move the bird away from center.
    Allen

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well most of you guys don't like my crop! I still do, so we'll have to agree to differ.
    Steve, still love the 1DX - quite simply the best camera I ever had, it's just that if I am not doing action and the light is less than ISO 6400 then the 5D IV is the camera of choice for me.
    Allen I will no doubt be taking more images in the rain, I have a suspicion we are going to pay for the long hot summer we had!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Very true Jon, 5D4 ideal for portraits, but action - the 1DX will wipe the floor as you can choose the frame rate, rather than having a 'fixed' choice.

I owned two 5D IV bodies when I used Canon and one 1DX Mark II. I rarely used the latter ... But sometimes you gotta ask yourself, "What the heck does artie know?"

Anyway, I switched to Nikon :)

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I downloaded this one to execute a badly needed crop from behind (according to me) and to lighten the face. Image quality was somewhat disappointing. I selected the face with a Quick Mask, sharpened it with a Contrast Mask, and pulled the Curve up on that Layer only. Then I added a Regular Layer Mask and painted the edges away at 50%.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

ps: and the BKGR could use some Noise Reduction.

a

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You have enhanced the detail rather well Artie - good job. The detail was not clearly visible due to dull light and rain, that is why I portrayed it as it was. I know your stance has been just because the weather wasn't good doesn't mean the colours done' have to be, I can always remember you said that about eight or nine years ago concerning some great crested grebes. You are right you can make the image how you would like to see it, I chose to portray it as closely as I could recall it. Thanks for the repost it is certainly food for thought.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    You have enhanced the detail rather well Artie - good job. The detail was not clearly visible due to dull light and rain, that is why I portrayed it as it was. I know your stance has been just because the weather wasn't good doesn't mean the colours done' have to be, I can always remember you said that about eight or nine years ago concerning some great crested grebes. You are right you can make the image how you would like to see it, I chose to portray it as closely as I could recall it. Thanks for the repost it is certainly food for thought.
    Hi Jon, Thanks for getting back to me. I disagree with you but only 100%. The bird is the bird -- the only thing that changes is your perception of it in the crappy weather. That is due in part to the limits of the higher ISOs. With digital, all of the info that makes the bird beautiful is there ...

with love, artie

ps: the only thing that I touched was the face ...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, we'll have to agree to differ, I concede you made a decent fist of it but I do not recall the bird having a bright face, nor do I think it likely that the bird would have a bright face in such dull conditions where the light was even and flat. You prefer the brighter appearance I prefer to present it as I saw it. It's good we are different, life could become boring otherwise

17. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post