Thread: black skimmer

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Default black skimmer

Attached Images Attached Images

I liked the position of this simmer and a bit of fish was a bonus . After posting I would move the bird to the right a bit. Bottom wing has a blur of grass at the tip... This was might first time shooting at Nickerson and I had a blast. Lots of action and sweet BG's.

1Dx
    840mm
    ISO 800
    1/2500

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A slightly unusual pose and I like it, the fanned tail and the upper wing are very eye catching. The fish in the bill is also very good to see.
    I suspect a little luminosity masking would reveal more detail in the bright whites

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ann, great dynamic flight pose, and love those orange legs tucked in against the fanned tail. I do like the hint of the OOF grasses in the lower frame. I hope he caught more fish, as that certainly isnt going to fill him up.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The green background and light are great, and I love the detail on the fanned tail with the contrasting feet. But the image lacks connection, probably because of the head angle and fall-away flight path. I would have also loved to see a bit more of the right underwing. A good image though!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ann,
    I like this image with the layered BG (grass at bottom of frame) and nice flight pose. The fanned tail is pretty cool. TFS.
    Allen

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good flight capture, Ann. I love the Nickerson vegetated dune background. Catching them bringing tiny fish to the nest is a challenge, and you caught him just right, as he was braking but not yet hidden by the grass. The fish is a bonus. I'm not crazy about the upper wing position, but like the way it frames the head.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I did not think that I was gonna like this when I looked at the thumbnail because of the somewhat pancaked view of the upper wing. But I was way wrong. The background is luscious. And the fanned tail and the splayed primaries on the near wing are neat. As is the killer look back head angle. Techs and color look spot on to me.

with love, artie
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 08-21-2018 at 07:42 AM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

ps: do you remember if the wind was south or west or somewhere in between?

pps: I know that dark green bush and I do not like it :)

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the fish and the lower wing position, the upper wing could be better and had already passed you a bit, the frame just before this one would have been ideal

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog