Thread: Ducking or Begging or Both?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Ducking or Begging or Both?

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created on Thursday, August 16 at Nickerson Beach. I used the Induro GIT 304L/Mongoose M3.6-mounted Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4E FL ED VR lens, the Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II, and the mega mega-pixel Nikon D850 DSLR.. ISO 400. Matrix metering +2/3 stop: 1/400 sec. at f/10 in Manual mode. AUTO1 WB at 7:13am on a partly cloudy very bright morning. One AF point below the center AF point d-9/Shutter Button/Continuous (AI Servo in Canon) AF was active at the moment of exposure. The selected AF point was squarely on the chick’s cace. Phase detection AF Fine-tune value: +1. See the Nikon AF Fine-tune e-Guide here.

Learn more and see my students image in the It's Not Too Late! If I’ve Heard It Once I’ve Heard it 1,000 Times. The Advantages of Standing. An Intimate Perspective from On High. And Some Nasty Post-processing Questions blog post here.
    As for the image, don't be shy; all comments are welcome and appreciated.

Do you see any evidence of Photoshop hanky panky here?

with love, artie

ps: if you'd like to join me for a skimmer session or two on Long Island in the next week see the schedule here.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great action here Artie. Love the ominous wing of the Great Blacked Back Gull.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Both? I'm not sure. Like the low angle and the sand flying around the bird. The composition works well. The open mouth is pretty neat.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Mixed bag for the little one, be careful what you ask for! Like the hint of wing and the flying sand as the chick takes cover. terrific behavioral shot.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Grant View Post
    Great action here Artie. Love the ominous wing of the Great Blacked Back Gull.
    It was actually the ominous wing of an adult skimmer :)

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Mack View Post
    Both? I'm not sure. Like the low angle and the sand flying around the bird. The composition works well. The open mouth is pretty neat.
    Thanks. John. Both what?

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, excellent sharp detail and spot on focus on the chick's open beak, and the flying sands adds interest. The wing of the Skimmer balances the comp nicely.

8. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ha! That's what I get for viewing quickly on the phone and commenting.

10. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes interesting shot for sure! Chick's perceived reaction completely dependent on how incoming bird is identified! Wide white trailing edge
    screamed skimmer to me, but I could totally see how some might think it was a GBBG (and hence doomsday for this chick).

12. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian Anderson View Post
    Yes interesting shot for sure! Chick's perceived reaction completely dependent on how incoming bird is identified! Wide white trailing edge
    screamed skimmer to me, but I could totally see how some might think it was a GBBG (and hence doomsday for this chick).
    Thanks for commenting Dorian. But, it does not matter if the wing belonged to a (predatory) gull or an adult skimmer. Why? Adult skimmers routinely attack and even kill small and medium-sized chicks from nests other than their own. In fact, the adult skimmer in this case was attacking the chick. And the chicks know it.

The image posted here is not sharp --too much motion blur at 1/500 sec. -- but it does prove my point. It was created the day after the posted image.

with love, artie