Thread: Costa Hummingbird

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Costa Hummingbird

Attached Images Attached Images

Image of a female Costa, shot in the White Mountains of Arizona (9200 ft). Is it ok to fill the frame with the bird or better to pull the lens back to get a bigger canvas?

Canon 7d Mii
    Tamron SP 150-600 G2
    shot @600MM
    hand held
    manual mode
    1/1000 sec.
    F6.7
    iso 500
    no flash, no crop
    shot @ 3:18 pm
    background was a grassy meadows

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Randy I personally would have a little bit more room around the bird especially in the front to show direction.
    Your whites are ok but some of your blacks are a bit to solid, nice background and just enough wing blur to show motion.
    Things to improve on would be a bit more shutter speed and sharpness, also I would remove the small second highlight on the lower part of the eye.

Thanks for sharing.

-Tim
    Last edited by Tim Foltz; 08-18-2018 at 06:54 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good stuff by Tim. For me, lots more room around the bird would be much better. The image does not appear to be accurately focused on the eye. Some flash would help with the solidly blocked up black but that would limit your shutter speed. In short, hummers with natural light are not easy.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Artie (if I may) and Tim for your suggestions. I will try and incorporate these suggestions in the next submission. I really do want to improve my skills.

5. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post