Thank You Posts

Default Theme Leveret

Attached Images Attached Images

Baby Hare.
    Nikon D4
    Nikon 300mm 2.8
    1/640@f6.3
    iso 1000

One from the past ,this one was a pleasure to try and photograph and came within a few feet of me. Not happy about the light patch to the left but a bit large to try to do a lot with it.Thanks for taking a look.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cute little hare you have. You did well with what you have to work with. I like the square crop.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would have tried a lower shooting angle and I feel the ears could be in a better position. Nice colors and the square crop works here.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely shot Keith but I think the colour balance is a little off.
    I have taken the liberty of making a very quick alternative for your consideration. All I did was take the white balance tool in ACR and dragged it over a grey part of the ear, you can try it on various parts to determine the optimal effect. I also desaturated the greens just a tiny bit.
    I certainly think it would be worthwhile taking another look at the raw file, its a very pleasant image, I wish I could get so close!
    (Keith did you calibrate your monitor?)

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Keith - Good to see you posting. I agree the square crop works here. It might have been difficult to get a clear view from a lower angle with that vegetation in front. The colors of your U.K. hares often confuse me. The op has a bit of a magenta cast to the bg and the hare has more red in it than in Jon's rp that seems to have more yellow. I have no idea which one is more accurate. So I have to leave it to you UK guys to sort out.

TFS,
    Rachel

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rachel if you take 5 points out of the yellows the greens look better but I too was a little conscious of the fact that "Keith's" hares a different colour to the ones I am used to seeing here in Wirral. I was really giving Keith a pointer as it were to have another look at the raw file.
    Keith will have a better idea of the true hare colour than I do, I am sure.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all for your comments and the people that have viewed very much appreciated.Dumay this shot was taken from my car window with the Hare very close,have lots with alert ears but did think these floppy ones are a bit different,thank you John for your input,Jonathan thanks for your repost,think I might go between the two,but like we have discussed before so many different variations with Hares,will look into monitor calibration.Rachel thanks a lot I learn all the time from these discussions on colour and casts,did think I had removed the magenta cast on the bg but these old eyes are not the best.

Thanks Keith.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Keith, BKG not ideal with the white patch to the LHS, but shooting from the car limits your options and so it is what it is. For me, the OP is fairly close and reflects our hares nicely, a slight + in the WB and a tad to the right in the Tint and I think you are there Keith. From the Histogram it's well exposed. Love the floppy ear.

TFS
    Steve

Just my take.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Keith a lovely shot with the hare ...you caught him in a typical pose , well done.
    Nothing you could have done about the surroundings , so you did well . As posted color is a tiny bit ...not right , Steve is about correct ..i bet. Jon is a bit dull and colors more off .....
    Framing works nice ..good detail and tonal range in the OP.

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve and Andreas much appreciate your tips and comments.

Keith.