Thread: preening pretty crested caracara

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Default preening pretty crested caracara

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken in Texas, from a blind, along with Gail B., last May and those back to back 104 degree days. I'd tried a few things during processing and look forward to what your eye sees... DPP, Cropped, levels, curves, removed yellow in selective color whites... Also cloned out some whitewash on perch and on bird. Reduced yellow saturation. smart sharpened, NR. Thought about the blue having ? magenta cast????? but didn't know for sure, didn't know what to do. Didn't do anything w shadows, probably should have.

1Dx
    600mm
    ISO 800
    1/4000

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This looks fine to me. Sharp and captured at just the right moment. A bit more room on the right and a bit less on the left would not bother me one bit. Please remember to let us know when the subject was baited (as I am assuming was the case here).

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This looks good Ann!
    No color cast seen here.
    I love the preening pose and the sharpness.
    I like your comp but can also see a version with a sliver more room on the LHS.
    Artie- the caracaras were baited.
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gail bisson View Post
    This looks good Ann!
    No color cast seen here.
    I love the preening pose and the sharpness.
    I like your comp but can also see a version with a sliver more room on the LHS.
    Artie- the caracaras were baited.
    Gail
    More room on the left???

I knew that they were baited; why else sit in a blind :)

with love, arite
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    More room on the left???

I knew that they were baited; why else sit in a blind :)

with love, arite
    hi Artie, sorry my oversight not to include that the caracaras were baited... Ann

Threads
    Thank You Posts

AMP,

No worries. Just a reminder.

with love, artie

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice. Like the preening pose here. The perch and background are nice as well. Nice and sharp.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bird looks great Ann. Very nice job with the processing. I like the crop as is. The only thing that bothers me here is that the perch looks a bit soft. Was noise reduction applied to it along with the background? It looks like it was to me and if so that is an easy fix. In cases like this I always include the bird and perch on its own layer, background goes on a separate layer. Both receive separate NR if needed.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

These are great looking birds, and you have a nice preening capture, Ann. I think the shaded areas look fine, as well the rest of PP, good detail and I like the composition. Well done.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Grant View Post
    Bird looks great Ann. Very nice job with the processing. I like the crop as is. The only thing that bothers me here is that the perch looks a bit soft. Was noise reduction applied to it along with the background? It looks like it was to me and if so that is an easy fix. In cases like this I always include the bird and perch on its own layer, background goes on a separate layer. Both receive separate NR if needed.
    i see what you mean, no NR, however, I was cleaning up some whitewash and it looks a bit funky. Thanks

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That’s so funny Ann. You notice the poop in my shot that I missed and I noticed the clean up of poop in your shot. What’s wrong with us! At least the birds look great in both!!!