Thread: black skimmer

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Default black skimmer

Attached Images Attached Images

Skimmer after a bank and above nesting skimmers and terns. Taken at Nickerson a few weekends ago. The wingspan is a whopping 42-50 inches for a body length of 16-20 inches!

1Dx
    840mm
    iso 1000
    1/3200

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the DOF on the grasses blowin in the wind..Fabulous flight pose and good detail. I have never photographed these birds, but wondering if the underside could be 'whiter' Well done Ann a very nice capture.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice. Love the pose on the bird with the full wing span. The two toned background is nice as well. Grasses add a nice element.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love that background and that is one of the reasons I like Nickerson so much.
    Nice and sharp and fantastic wingspread.
    I would reduce the yellows in the whites in selective color.
    Very nice frame. Not sure about the color balance in the image- the sky seems a bit cyan to me but you were there so will trust your eye on this!
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, a wicked pose. The WHITEs below look just fine to me. Great that you got the head above the line of the grasses. Sharp with a perfect EXP. I am guessing that you cropped a bit from behind the bird.

with love, artie

ps: did you get my e-mail?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice flight image. I had exactly the same impression as Gail, that the color balance is off

I did a quick adjustment with curves, and thought it gave cleaner whites and colors. Just an option.

Cheers

Randy
    Last edited by Randy Stout; 08-13-2018 at 08:33 PM.
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The pose, details and background are killer Ann. Very nice. I will probably go there on Saturday as am staying the weekend right near there and hope to get something as pretty as this shot. But the colors are not right. Gail is correct and Randy's repost is s step in the right direction but I think it can go a step further to make the whites a bit whiter, the blacks a bit blacker, the sky a bit bluer and even less yellows in the whites. Note that I did not bother to make sure the highlights in the whites are 100% correct, just did some global adjustments. You can do that when working on the original full res file.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Okay, thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I need help! I am often at a loss with color casts and color balance. The exposure on this skimmer had no blinkies and no blocking. I think my processing regarding exposure stops at levels and I am not sure what I am missing... Any suggestions for me? I can't even identify color cast, so Im not sure what to do... My laundry list includes color casts, color balance and selective colors... Thanks and appreciate your time and suggestions.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Come down to the city for a day. We can shoot and then come to my place and spend a good long time working on images and anything else that you’d like. No worrying about appointments, downloads and so on. Offer is open as is my door for ya. So come on down!

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Grant View Post
    Come down to the city for a day. We can shoot and then come to my place and spend a good long time working on images and anything else that you’d like. No worrying about appointments, downloads and so on. Offer is open as is my door for ya. So come on down!
    Thanks Isaac, you are very generous and helpful, and knowledgeable! Im thinking of Nickerson this weekend, watching the weather...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great image Ann. That’s a great offer from Isaac, take it if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Threads
    Thank You Posts

nice bank, I like the BG too, needs a bit more sharpening and the strong color cast noted too. skimmer underbelly should be perfectly white. it seems like either your monitor is not calibrated or the software you are using ruins the capture WB...

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Okay, here's my repost and what I did: in Curves, I set my defaults to RGB:245 and RGB: 10. I put the color picker on the whitest whites, and on the blackest blacks... Reduced yellows in selective color Whites, and increased cyans in the selective color blue... Added a bit more sharpening but looks like there is an outline now... Also, there are splotches of yellow in the underbelly on the RAW, along with a grayed area, in the bottom of the belly (shadow)... Overall, WDYT? Several of you had reposts and suggestions so i tried my best to consider all you said.. Thanks

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

major improvement from your original Ann.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

While the color is much better in all three reposts, do note that the skimmers actually have yellow on the flanks and the belly during the breeding season ... The other consideration is: do you want all the WHITEs at 240, 240, 240, for example, or do you want to keep some of the warm light? Isaac's and Ann's repost are the most neutral but I like Randy's best (thanks all!) because he has kept the warm light.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

In retrospect, you might consider eliminating the bit of yellow below and slightly behind the far wing; it draws the eye.

with love, artie