Thread: Dusky-capped Flycatcher

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Dusky-capped Flycatcher

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all, new to the forum. I live in the Dovemountain area of Marana Az and love photographing birds. I would appreciate any suggestions you might have on this image. Thanks

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome and nice first post. Please go back and let us know what gear you used as well as the EXIF.

For me, the bird -- one I have never seen in life and barely ever heard of -- is a bit too large in the frame and a bit too centered. I'd like to see a bit more of the perch as well.

Was the bird attracted with audio or water? I do like the flower in the upper left corner.

Is this a crop or full frame?

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Mr Morris for the critique of my image. I was really surprised to see your name on the post, I'am a big fan and enjoy your blog and videos. This image was shot in our backyard (Marana Az) along a dry wash which is a flyway for birds and other creatures. This bird was attracted to our water fountain. I was so close to the bird the 600MM had to be backed off. Info: mode Manual, 1/250 sec, F8.0, iso 400, Canon 7d Mii, Tamron SP 150-600, shot at 428MM, hand held, the image cropped maybe 10%, adjustments made in Lightroom 6.14.

Thanks again
    Randy

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Dunn View Post
    Thanks Mr Morris for the critique of my image. I was really surprised to see your name on the post, I'am a big fan and enjoy your blog and videos. This image was shot in our backyard (Marana Az) along a dry wash which is a flyway for birds and other creatures. This bird was attracted to our water fountain. I was so close to the bird the 600MM had to be backed off. Info: mode Manual, 1/250 sec, F8.0, iso 400, Canon 7d Mii, Tamron SP 150-600, shot at 428MM, hand held, the image cropped maybe 10%, adjustments made in Lightroom 6.14.

Thanks again
    Randy
    Thanks on all counts Randy. I have re-dedicated myself to becoming more active on the Forum. Overall too dark. Are those shadows on the bottom of the face and the neck?

With love, arite
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Thanks on all counts Randy. I have re-dedicated myself to becoming more active on the Forum. Overall too dark. Are those shadows on the bottom of the face and the neck?

With love, arite

No, natural plumage, the bird maybe a Ash-throated flycatcher, very hard to tell them apart.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Randy, welcome to the forum. Nice head angle and perch, overall image is a tad to dark as Artie pointed out.
    Did you use a flash? it looks like it to me. Looking forward to more.

-Tim

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Randy,

Nice bird and colors.
    I see you were using a 150-600 zoom and took the image at 428mm.
    I would be inclined to use less zoom so that the bird has less of a tightly cropped appearance
    Nice pic otherwise

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ainslie View Post
    Hello Randy,

Nice bird and colors.
    I see you were using a 150-600 zoom and took the image at 428mm.
    I would be inclined to use less zoom so that the bird has less of a tightly cropped appearance
    Nice pic otherwise

Thanks Robert for taking the time to view my image. Here are the dimensions from the raw file and the cropped file. Raw 5742 x 3648, Cropped 4199 x 2799. Maybe I
    get carried away with trying to fill the frame.