Thread: black skimmer after a dip...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Default black skimmer after a dip...

Attached Images Attached Images

This skimmer had the right idea to cool himself down, in a small lagoon of fresh water to dip and drink after a heavy rainfall. Tough lighting but I loved the colors.

1dx
    400mm

iso 1250
    1/2500

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent frame Ann, I love the pastel colors on the background. Great flying pose, eye contact, reflection and great control of the blacks and whites. Thank you for sharing.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ann,
    Very nice frame with the reflection and water drops. Nice angle of the bird and fine BG too.
    Allen

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet Frame. Really like the reflection here. The color of the water is sweet as well. Nice light.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice flight pose, but it's the background that does it. Gorgeous colors, as you say. The reflection is a good one, but it also seems a little distracting. This would also make a beautiful pano without the reflection.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the colors in the water and that slight head turn towards you.
    Great reflection. Nice catchlight in the eye.
    I think the image needs some CW rotation if you look at the circular water ripples to the left of the skimmer.
    The whites are a bit hot on the sides. Are they blown on the RAW?
    I think the image is a bit oversharpened.
    If mine, I would select the blacks of the far wing and reduce the magenta in color balance.
    Overall, a good frame that needs a bit of TLC in PP.
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very good pic.. i like the direct eye contact very much

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looking at this I know exactly where it was taken. It is the only spot that I know of that you can get these birds in close in that background. Color palette is beautiful but I do not think the processing is right on this one. The whites on the underwing look too hot, the whites of the belly look too gray and the blacks do not have much detail and also have a magenta cast to them as Gail mentions. If you are not shooting there at first light then it is really difficult to expose these birds properly. Also the reflection of the bird shows uniform white coloration in the underwings but the bird does not as the axillaries (the armpit) are brighter on the bird. If the raw was badly over exposed then I do not think there is much you can do, but if not then maybe you can save this one.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

HI Ann, Was this in the long pool along the west side of the parking lot at Nickerson?

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    HI Ann, Was this in the long pool along the west side of the parking lot at Nickerson?

with love, artie
    Yes... early morning, although I liked the water color, I had too much light on the left side of the bird and then a shadowed wing/half face on the other side... looking forward to seeing what you get!
    Last edited by annmpacheco; 08-14-2018 at 03:04 PM.

11. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by annmpacheco View Post
    Yes... early morning, although I liked the water color, I had too much light on the left side of the bird and then a shadowed wing/half face on the other side... looking forward to seeing what you get!
    Ha, I read my email first and responded thinking it was the last skimmer shot, then realized you were asking about the previous skimmer image, so I edited my response. So yes, exactly where Isaac thought it was...