Thread: African wild dog / Painted dog

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default African wild dog / Painted dog

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 5D III Canon 100-400 l IS II
    ISO 1000 1/2000 sec f8 (fierce dappled light through trees)
    ACR + PSCC (hope you are at ease with the colours, I think they are ok)

Taken from the car in southern Kruger Park around Melalane Gate area, we were driving slowly along a small track and a car was stopped. We approached very slowly and the bloke in the car beckoned us ( he could see we were going to stop before getting close) he said there was a group of dogs resting up. If we hadn't asked we would have driven straight past never thinking they would be there because they were all initially hunkered down in the grass.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan -- Lovely details and you have done well in framing the subject in the clearing , pretty tough to get them in the open. The light is strong and you have handled it quite well and the colours look good to me, just slight cyan tint in the yellow for my taste but not a deal breaker. The Oof grass in the FG doesnt bother me and like wise the framing is fine with me no issues with the leg being not completely in the frame. I liked this image .

TFS !

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - It looks like you finally had a bit of sun during your rainy season trip. I think this is one of your best in terms of pp. The detail is great with good control of both the hls and blacks. Love the slightly open mouth and visible teeth. Sharpness and dof look good too. I don't mind the oof foliage, it was there and frames the face. Nice one!

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice portrait here. The details looks good. Like the environment you have captured him in.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Jon it is always treat to get them to see .....i have never been really blessed to get them close by or standing still . So great that you had opportunities for getting them ..close by .
    I like the portrait and the good detail and sharpness . The crop is not ideal from my POV , but it could be just me . I have an option added ....and i treated the darker parts of the jaw and throat , the do look a bit thin i think in your OP.
    Not sure about the overall yellow appearance of the image ....but you have been there .

Nice one Jon , TFS Andreas
    Last edited by Andreas Liedmann; 08-12-2018 at 04:26 PM.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jon,

I have stopped counting how many sightings you had in the Kruger...Just hope to be this lucky in October when I get there:)

Indeed I feel "at ease" with colours as well as tonality, exposure is spot on and detail very nice. Must say I do like Andreas's composition as it adds more emphasis on the subject.

Love those eyes and focused look as well as open mouth. A well processed image and I enjoyed viewing, thank you for sharing!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon loved it. Yet to see them with my own eyes.