Thread: World Lion Day- Wet & bedraggled!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default World Lion Day- Wet & bedraggled!

Attached Images Attached Images

Celebrating World Lion Day- "Saving the King of beasts to save ourselves" https://www.worldlionday.com/

Let us hope that ALL cats, and not just lions have a viable future in our world.

7.00am low cloud cover, wet and a touch bedraggled, a 4 mth old female lion cub grants me a quizical pose, love the floppy ear!

This little girl was part of the Kibumbu pride that numbered 33 comprising of 3 pride males, 8 females and 22 cubs from 3 to 14 mths.

Most researchers will tell you that when prides start numbering over 30, competition for food and other factors will see that number divide and relocate, mostly iniated by the adult females.

Central Serengeti- TZ

Nikon D850
    Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 + 1.4tcIII
    f/4
    1/500s ....yes pushing it a tad and with hindsight being a wonderful thing, I should have removed the tc, but things happen quickly.
    ISO2800@ 200mm.

Almost F/F, slight crop to vertical, bean bag, front pax seat, curves, levels, TK adj's in ACR & PS CC '18.

Cheers
    Marc
    Last edited by Marc Mol; 08-10-2018 at 08:23 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc -- Those eyes are captivating and i liked that wet fur as well. Nice clean BKG makes the subject stand out . I feel the blacks are slightly strong or may be that wet fur is giving that appearance. I also see some blue creeping in on top of its head.

I have noticed that most of the time you are using a tc with the 70-200mm , how is the focusing with this combo ?

TFS !

3. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc - Fixed and it certainly is both wet and bedraggled. Love the eyes and the wet look. I would prefer a bit more dof to have the tip of the nose sharp too. Interesting about the pride size and I can only echo your thoughts about big cats. Happy World Lion Day!

TFS,
    Rachel

5. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by haseeb badar View Post
    I feel the blacks are slightly strong or may be that wet fur is giving that appearance. I also see some blue creeping in on top of its head.
    Re-checked in both ACR and FRV and blacks are fine, as well as no blue/cyan cast indications also. Understanding the wet fur/texture could grant that appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by haseeb badar View Post
    I have noticed that most of the time you are using a tc with the 70-200mm , how is the focusing with this combo ?TFS !
    Virtually no loss to AF speed/acquisition and image quality with this new 70-200 Haseeb, it's a superb combo with the D850, I used to bring my 80-400, but with dust penetration causing a complete rebuild/claim 2yrs back, I leave it @ home (mostly) now.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely shot Marc, sh looks as though a big cuddle is needed, the ever so slightly soft nose probably enhances the vulnerability of the cub.
    (Just out of curiosity Marc when you first open your files do many of them have a strong + Tint value? - My pal has a Nikon and he bets me they won't!)

8. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many thanks Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    (Just out of curiosity Marc when you first open your files do many of them have a strong + Tint value? - My pal has a Nikon and he bets me they won't!)
    Your referring to +Tint value/bias is generally related to WB and (not LCD screen colour) and with past Nikon DSLR's the WB bias was very slightly on the green/cyan side, and if memory serves me it was red/magenta in Canon.
    With WB, specifically Auto WB the current Pro Nikon bodies, ie D5, D850 & D500 I'm finding there is no + tint bias now and just about everytime gets it pretty much spot on.

Cheers
    Marc

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great portrait. Love that stare. The wet look is great as well. Excellent background.

11. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc a good solid portrait of the cub , the fact of being wet does it make more special than a rather " normal " dry cub ....
    Lovely look to the viewer with those adorable eyes .... good job , Marc.
    Just the framing / cropping is not just my taste .....i might loose some from the top of the image.
    TFS Andreas

13. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Too precious Marc, the eye contact makes this image for me. As well as POV.

I think a bit more DoF and SS would have been great, but I gather things happened fast and you did best under the circumstances. This pretty face and curious eyes remind me of a young female cub I photographed some years back - had I known then what shutter speed does for an image I would be able to show it to you now, unfortunately mine is not sharp enough

BG is lovely and I like the colours, agree with Andreas on the framing. Thank you so much for sharing, a pleasure to view,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

15. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post