Thread: Cub Cluster !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Cub Cluster !

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone, thank you for all your comments and suggestions on my previous post, much appreciated as always .

I was a bit confused as to which image should i post next, whether to continue with the tiger cub series or switch over to lions. Then decided to post lion cubs. So will opt for a mixed approach as luckily i have images of youngsters from different animal specie.

This image was made in an early morning light . Was very lucky to see the lioness resting in the tall grasses ( i was the one to spot her, our guide missed it ), and as we were waiting , the cubs appeared on the scene . A real cute bunch of cubs, cannot believe they turn out to be so ferocious animals as they grow up. I had a few frames from this cluster , but opted for it inspite of the ear of the rear most cub being slightly clipped. The reason being the raised tail of the cub leading and the slight visible eye of the last one.

Looking forward for your comments and suggestions if any .

DPP 4.8, PSCC2018, WB, inc exp, curves adjustment ( as per the tutorial sent by steve, I hope the whites are fine), selective colour, levels, , NR, sharpening.

Canon 1DX MKII, Canon 200-400mm f4 IS II, Bean bag.

1/2000, f/4.0, ISO 8000, FL @ 400mm.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Can't help but love these cuties. Nice low angle and soft light. Maybe a bit top heavy with the crop but sounds like nothing you could do about that.

3. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Haseeb,

I must say I am enjoying this month's Theme so much Wonderful capture of those little ones and congratulations for joining the high ISO club, LOL.

Nice POV and the subjects fill the frame so nicely, pose is superb. Good sharpness and detail where it matters.

In terms of colour there seems to be a fine blue tinge to the image overall. It's really not too much and you can go back to LR and fix it - if you think WB was correct then just try remove the blues in HSL/Colour. Here is my attempt, I also upped the temperature to +3, see if it works for you.

So enjoyed viewing, why did you keep this from us for so long?

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Haseeb you must have been thrilled to bits when you looked at the back of your camera! What a magical capture I am really pleased for you and this is such a pleasure to view.
    The image does look just a little cool (Colour Temp) but pretty close, I like the processing, I would suggest lifting the darkest shadows just a little. I am not sure about your thoughts but I would consider adding a little canvas to the top, just to enclose the rearmost cub.

6. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Gabriela and Colin.

@ Gabriela : I did try to remove the blues but i guess adding warmth has made a difference , which I liked it . Thank you for suggesting that change. And this was taken in the last week of June 2018, so i guess that I have posted it very quickly coz if i tell you that i am yet to post tiger cub images from march and elephants from april trip or say 2015 mara trip images then you will surely say that this is posted very very fast . But surely will keep posting as much as possible because there is nothing better than learning from you guys here.
    Last edited by haseeb badar; 08-09-2018 at 07:22 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan-- Thank you for your comments and suggestions, I guess i posted my above comment simultaneously with yours. I had a thought to add the canvas but it was not bothering me. Also I was looking forward for all your comments to see whether that clipped ear is an issue here. Will certainly try and see how that appears.

This was one of my best sightings ever, what a cute bunch of cats they were, and the next day was even better when we got them on a WB kill. I doubt whether i will be able to share all the images for this months theme from these encounters but will try my best to share as much as possible. And at the same time will have to keep in mind that it does not become very monotonous.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Likewise, Haseeb! I too appreciate your feedback, tremendously. And cannot wait to see your tiger cubs and Ellie images !

Quote Originally Posted by haseeb badar View Post
    Thank you Gabriela and Colin.

@ Gabriela : I did try to remove the blues but i guess adding warmth has made a difference , which I liked it . Thank you for suggesting that change. And this was taken in the last week of June 2018, so i guess as I have posted it very quickly coz if i tell you that i am yet to post tiger cub images from march and elephants from april trip or say 2015 mara trip images then you will surely say that this is posted is very very fast . But surely will keep posting as much as possible because there is nothing better than learning from you guys here.
    Gabriela Plesea

10. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, a super but bunch on cubs and nice walking pose with that little tail up. Nice low POV and techs. Good one.

12. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, what a gorgeous encounter!

With regard to framing, yes a bit more above would have been better, this goes back to tacking your subjects and letting them walk into frame. Great to see you not letting old school get in the way and push the ISO, looks like you are getting comfortable with it. Colour, hard to tell without know what time of day it was, looks like early morning and so colour would be more muted, less saturated and almost going quite flat perhaps. Blacks look a bit heavy, dominating the areas, I might ease back as blacks are softer here, less 'dark' if you know what I mean. Often this is where folk pinch the Histogram in Levels, but it just makes things look too 'bold' IMHO. Shame you had to go to f/4 really cuts your DoF, in an ideal world having a bit more may have helped the RH cub as viewed so it's less of a transition from sharp to OOF, but just my take.

Hope you are enjoying PSCC, you have the kit so you need up to date software. Additions may be subtle and so you may not need to use as much with a slider.

TFS
    Steve

14. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

One of your recent best Haseeb,

great low POV with all faces visible, and all the more rewarding as this was your sighting. Just a tad more room at the top, but I gather this was FF?

Steve's RP has addressed most of the minor issues.

TFS

16. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve's RP has addressed most of the minor issues.
    I think you mean Gabriela, Marc.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Sanjeev , Steve and Marc !

Here is a RP based on the above suggestions, WDYT ?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    I think you mean Gabriela, Marc.
    My apologies Gabriela, thanks Steve.

20. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

My apologies Gabriela, thanks Steve.
    No worries Marc, easily done.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, RP looks good and definitely an improvement and now you can start to hone images far more, as you have a great platform in the Raw and some updated software.

23. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

RP looks great, lovely work Haseeb
    Gabriela Plesea

25. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Superb but too, too cute. You might consider a smaller, more pleasing signature :)

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

27. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb - What a bunch of cute cubs. I do still like Gabriela's rp the best in terms of colors. I agree with the comments about too tight at the top but it happens to all of us in the heat of the moment.

TFS,
    Rachel

29. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you everyone !

@ Sir Artie : Thats a valid point regarding the signature , no point in keeping it big , it is the image that matters.

31. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb .....a lot has been said ....a very fine frame of these youngsters , congrats to this one. Well executed in the field .
    TFS Andreas

33. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post