Thread: Lonely Daga Boy

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lonely Daga Boy

Attached Images Attached Images

A solitary old bull at Ngorongoro crater, Tanzania.
    5D III
    170mm
    1/2000
    f/10
    ISO 1600

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

HI Sanjeev -- Huge specimen ! You have handled the light well, looks nicely processed as well. not sure on the techs , why f10 ? I think f 7.1 would have been fine and you could have dropped that iso as well . Wished the head was raised and looking towards the camera .
    Are those lions in the top lhs corner ?

TFS !

3. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I don't mind the dropped head as it gives a good look at that massive neck, overall the embodiment of power. Nicely done.

5. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Sanjeev,

The forlorn and burdened look of this buffalo is in great contrast with the shape he is in and this makes for an interesting image IMO, well seen and taken! Regarding swelling on its lower R limb - do you think it was it an old injury or was he taking strain? I am also curious about the shapes in the ULC - lions?

Nice techs and well exposed, this is a well composed image, sharpness is there and colours look good. Detail is also good, just thinking perhaps you could tease more out of those horns/boss and reveal more texture on the body, especially on those muddy bits.

Overall a pleasant frame Sanjeev, well captured and processed - I enjoyed viewing, thank you so much for sharing.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Haseeb, Colin & Gabriela. Haseeb, I went for f/10 to include the BG as much as possible to give depth as I was aiming for the crater edge behind. But it didn't work out so well so I cropped the bit of mountain from above the lake. Hence f/10. And oh yes they were lions. But too far to get them in focus.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sanjeev the image looks a little flat to me just a bit pale and lacking expression. I would be inclined to adjust curves a little at the raw stage to see what could be obtained, i appreciate it was probably quite bright so the colours would not be particularly rich but again I think it needs a little more richness.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Sanjeev, again some cracking detail and good choice in f/10. Perhaps the time of day was a bit harsh creating some strong shadows, might be able to resolve that in PP. Personally I think being a little further away and a longer less may have helped the respective here. Folk often get too close and so you have this slight 'shooting down' IMHO.

As presented perhaps going a little cooler in the WB and tweaking the Contrast, Shadows and Black, but be mindful of those really dark shadows the don't get clipped, so perhaps like this, or go B/W with a hint of warmth, NOT sepia as these dagga bull lend themselves to B/W I think. I think Rachel asked about doing a B/W for you this might work, but I can't remember which thread.

TFS
    Steve

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev = I really like what Steve has done here with his rp. The op was looking a bit flat and washed out to me. Btw I haven't received the cub file to try the b&w.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rachel, I will mail it to you today. Sorry for delay.