Thread: Stretching the wings

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Stretching the wings

Attached Images Attached Images

Took this image of a flycatcher at the Mission Bay UCSF garden. I used 1/1000 of shutter speed and kept the iso at 250. The lens was wide open at f4.
    The equipment that I used was canon 60D and 500 mm f4 ISII lens. The lens was mounted on a tripod and gimbal head.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Victor, welcome to BPN!! Awesome first post. I love the subject's pose and great look at the wing. I like the thin perch as well. Good BG. I do feel the image a touch bright overall, with the blacks a bit thin and the brightest whites needing to be toned down. I also wish the oof twigs at right were not there. All-in-all a rather enjoyable image. Hope to see more from you, as well as some critiques :-)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel,
    Thank you very much for your input. I shall edit the image according to the suggestions. About the oof twigs, I can clone them out but I do not know if that is acceptable.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Victor and welcome.

Nice image but for too many branches. Eliminating distracting background elements for images here on BPN is fine; we do ask that you let folks know what you have done. I would recommend not using the Clone Stamp to remove the branches. For the re-post I used the Patch Tool, my Divide and Conquer technique, a small Quick Mask or two refined by a Regular Layer Mask, and some Content Aware Fill. Then I ran a 65 pixel Gaussian blur on new layer of the image, added a Hide-All (Black or Inverse) Mask, and painted in the effect in 33% increments as needed to smooth the background. Then a small crop. And last I boosted the BLACKs a bit with a Levels Adjustment and toned down the WHITEs with a Curves Adjustment as suggested by Dan.

You can learn to do all of the above in The BIRDS AS ART Current Workflow e-Guide (Digital Basics II). Scroll down here to learn more about the guide and more about the background smoothing technique.

With love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

ps: I could have done a lot better with the RAW file :)

artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome! Lots of good suggestions here to improve a nice action image. Nice to see this often ignored species
    getting a bit of love.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Arthur,
    Thank you very much for your advice. I am re posting the image with the corrections that you and Daniel suggested. To my eye it improved a lot. Let me know what do you feel.
    I recently purchased “The art of Bird Photography Vol 1”. It is an excellent guide for bird photographers, not even for a beginner like me but also for professionals.I can surely say that now I have better understanding of how to expose my subject properly (not perfect yet but working on it
    J). I am sure I will learn a lot more when I finish reading the book.

If you remember, I requested you to provide some suggestionsregarding which lens to buy, sigma 500 or canon 500. As per your suggestion, Ifinally purchased canon 500 version II lens this month and I am very happy withit (bought it from adorama). Thanks again for your suggestion, I reallyappreciate it.
    -Victor

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Dorian !