Thread: Florida Burrowing Owl

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Florida Burrowing Owl

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image in Cape Coral, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED image captured at 400mm
    1/1600 F/8 Matrix Metering EV 0 ISO 6400 Auto 1 WB, camera supported by a monopod
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop CC 2018
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sharp. You handled what can be a very awkward subject size nicely.

with love and thanks for sharing, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

3. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the eyes, and the dark BG. A bit of a blue cast due to the shade, and some noise present in the BG - both which should be easy fixes.

5. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

So clear it almost looks unreal Joe, well done!

7. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    I love the eyes, and the dark BG. A bit of a blue cast due to the shade, and some noise present in the BG - both which should be easy fixes.
    Hi Daniel, thank you for viewing and commenting. Here is a repost addressing your suggestions for improving my image.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, have you applied NR across the whole image, everything looks flat and smooth. Prefer the OP for colour, it's all a bit too yellow for me in the RP. Are the eyes that 'Kodak' yellow, as our Little Owls are pale yellow and the layering within the yellow far more prominent.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very Nice Image. I would apply selective NR to Background and Adjust the Colors, it is also a bit Yellow to me.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice result in what look like very low lighting conditions! Beautiful details and stare. NR to BG would help, as noted.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Joe, have you applied NR across the whole image, everything looks flat and smooth. Prefer the OP for colour, it's all a bit too yellow for me in the RP. Are the eyes that 'Kodak' yellow, as our Little Owls are pale yellow and the layering within the yellow far more prominent.

TFS
    Steve
    Hi Steve, most likely I applied the same noise reduction to the whole image. Yesterday I worked on the image again applying noise reduction in different amounts to the bird and background producing several iterations. I read again and used Arash's method explained in his tutorial. The yellow cast to the edited image was from a poor choice of white balance. Here is an edit that I think is the best, showing the bird as it was in the low early morning light.
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 08-10-2018 at 08:59 AM.
    Joe Przybyla

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, OK we work in different ways so no problem. Just remember, if you are currently using the latest LR some of the Default setting have changed, and so you can have more increases compare to previous, NOT a great move Adobe. Also watch that you are not using that 'stupid' Adobe colour for Camera calibration, whoever came up with those new filters needs their head examined.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Przybyla View Post
    Hi Steve, most likely I applied the same noise reduction to the whole image. Yesterday I worked on the image again applying noise reduction in different amounts to the bird and background producing several iterations. I read again and used Arash's method explained in his tutorial. The yellow cast to the edited image was from a poor choice of white balance. Here is an edit that I think is the best, showing the bird as it was in the low early morning light.
    Thanks for the plug for The Professional Post Processing Guide based on Neat Image V8.2. Arash and I did that one together. Folks can learn more here.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.